• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fnglazz

fnglazz
  • Sponsor
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:20 PM

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can help me identify which cultivar of venus flytrap these are. I know they are nothing hugely unique but compared to the other 40 or so flytraps I have, these produce the most red (almost blood red) centres and look really nice. I got these a couple of years ago but threw away the name tag, cause lets face it, who needs nametags? (me, apparently).

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:54 PM

If you have no labels then just call them typicals.
Sorry to dissapoint but they are not any redder than most typicals kept in direct sunlight.
But they do look like big mouth, but then big mouth looks like many typicals I have. So if you are not certain just call then typicals and keep your labels next time.

#3 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:56 PM

Nothing springs to mind, but it could be just an ordinary plant with no cultivar or unofficial naming.

#4 fnglazz

fnglazz
  • Sponsor
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:01 PM

Ok, thanks anyway :)

#5 will T

will T
  • Full Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:25 PM

Hi,thx for the pics.
Yes the best is to call them typicals, too much people give name to dionaea and now it's a big mess :(

regards :)

#6 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have a similar problem. I was accidentally sent the wrong plant from a CP nursary, it was supposed to be an austrillian red rosette but after it displayed uncharacteristic upward growth i was sent a real red rosette free of charge. The nursary owner said its likely a G16 or a SWG as they are growing next to the red rosette's. Now i know its not a SWG as i am growing a couple and they look totally different. Could this be a G16?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks,

0rmus

#7 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

fnglass, from the colouring and the wider base of the teeth than typical I'd say it's probably a Finetooth X Red , but best to label it as a typical.

Trev

#8 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 13:14 PM

fnglass, from the colouring and the wider base of the teeth than typical I'd say it's probably a Finetooth X Red , but best to label it as a typical.

Trev

Thanks for the input Trev,

I can see some similar characteristics but my mystery has upright growth where as 'finetooth x red' appears to be mainly prostrate growing.

#9 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 15:00 PM

I have a similar problem. I was accidentally sent the wrong plant from a CP nursary, it was supposed to be an austrillian red rosette but after it displayed uncharacteristic upward growth i was sent a real red rosette free of charge. The nursary owner said its likely a G16 or a SWG as they are growing next to the red rosette's. Now i know its not a SWG as i am growing a couple and they look totally different. Could this be a G16?

It could be either at this stage of the year. SW Giant will grow upright traps that never go completely solid red, whereas G16 should develop prostrate traps that go a deep, solid red.

So the ID should become very obvious in a few weeks.

#10 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 15:14 PM

[/font][/color]

It could be either at this stage of the year. SW Giant will grow upright traps that never go completely solid red, whereas G16 should develop prostrate traps that go a deep, solid red.

So the ID should become very obvious in a few weeks.

Thanks Alexis.

Just to add a little more information about the mystery clone and maybe another clue as to its identity. When it came to me, fresh out of dormancy, it looked like this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

And heres a picture of a recent division i took from the myster clone.
Posted Image

Edited by 0rmus, 04 May 2012 - 09:04 AM.