greenhouse foundation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aamar

aamar
  • Full Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 18:53 PM

Hi just got a greenhouse would a foundation of sand and slabs be ok or would I have to dig a hole and pour concerete in it ?

Thanks
Aamar

#2 Dicon

Dicon
  • Full Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:neps and orchids

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:05 PM

depends upon the size, construction and the ground where you intend to site it

#3 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 17:51 PM

My 8' x 6' greenhouse came with an aluminium base to which the frame is attached. I concreted the base corners into the earth and laid slabs on sand in it. I don't think anything will move it now! What do the instructions say?

#4 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 30 April 2012 - 18:57 PM

Just remember it might move in strong wind.If you just use sand and slabs remember to drill and plug the base and screw into the slabs.
ada

#5 Flytyer

Flytyer
  • Full Members
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy; cacti; photography; reading; fishing; fishkeeping; cage birds and drinking Guinness.

Oh, and carnivorous plants....

Posted 30 April 2012 - 19:36 PM

For best results, drill 10mm holes into the concrete (or have a builder come down to do it cheaply for you, most DIY drills will not be able to handle that sort of load - the bloke we hired charged just £20 for drilling 12 holes), then use 8mm roll-bolts (sometimes called anchor bolts). The sleeve of these things expand when you tighten up, making for a very secure fastening.

#6 aamar

aamar
  • Full Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 20:18 PM

sorry for replying so late. its a 6x6 greenhouse I have drilled holes into the slabs and used pegs supllied with the greenhouse and anchored it in and I have used camping anchors aswell. @ada do you mean drill the base and the slabs and screw them both togther ? and is there anything I can do to reduced the swaying ?

Thanks Aamar

#7 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:52 PM

sorry for replying so late. its a 6x6 greenhouse I have drilled holes into the slabs and used pegs supllied with the greenhouse and anchored it in and I have used camping anchors aswell. @ada do you mean drill the base and the slabs and screw them both togther ? and is there anything I can do to reduced the swaying ?

Thanks Aamar

Are the pegs secured tightly in the holes. If you can pull them out by hand with a mole grip or similar then they are not going to hold the frame down in a strong wind. you should use bolts or thick screws so they cannot be pulled out.

#8 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 03 May 2012 - 22:37 PM

Depends how windy you get, legs should be buried in concrete at each corner. Also dont forget the bernoulli effect.

#9 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:40 PM

Yes the base should be screwed/bolted to the slabs.
There should be some type of bracing with the greenhouse,i.e an aluminium section that bolts to the perpendicular support ribs at about 60 degrees.
Sometimes it only comes as an aluminium "triangle" that bolts into the top or bottom corners to help stabalise the greenhouse.
ada