• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 3Star

3Star
  • Full Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Walking, playing guitar, blues and rock music........oh and CP's

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I went to the Harrogate Spring Flower Show on Friday and bought a plant from Matthew Soper (Hampshire Carnivorous Plants). The plant I bought was a leucophylla from Bens Bog, Alabama and it has two pitchers, one fully open and measuring 70cm tall and the other not yet open but almost as tall. Matthew also had many other plants available that were well advanced in terms of growth.
Now in my greenhouse, although all my plants are producing pitchers, I only have one plant where a pitcher has started to open and most of the pitchers are still quite small. Is the difference in growth purely down to Matthew being located in the south and the subsequent milder temperatures causing the plants to start growing earlier than up north?

#2 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:06 PM

more or less...milder temps, longer season, higher light intensity...there can be 2 or 3 weeks diference in summer length between south coast and northern England, take off another week or two for Scotland. I could never grow decent leucos in Scotland, which I put down to a short and cool growing season

Edited by gardenofeden, 29 April 2012 - 15:38 PM.