• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Hi all,

I took a little trip into the central mountains here in Taiwan a couple of weeks ago and took the following pictures. Can anyone confirm that, in amongst all the mosses and liverworts, this is actually a Utric? My guess from the leaves and the location would be U. striatula, but the "flowers" puzzle me. Or perhaps these are actually the capsules?

Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Interests:music, cycling, travelling, minerals, utricularia :-)

Posted 24 April 2012 - 14:24 PM

There are quite some species mixed in.
The one with the roundish leaves and the flowerstalks looks like a species of section Phyllaria to me - maybe U. striatula.

#3 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

There are quite some species mixed in.
The one with the roundish leaves and the flowerstalks looks like a species of section Phyllaria to me - maybe U. striatula.

Thanks for the reply.

So you think there are other species of Utricularia mixed in, or just species of other plants? I wondered about the elongated leaves in Photo 1, but decided they were probably just liverworts or similar.

#4 Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando Rivadavia
  • Full Members
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:CPs in the wild, especially Drosera, Pinguicula, Genlisea, and Utrics

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:53 PM

Definitely a Utric, just can't tell what species.

#5 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

Definitely a Utric, just can't tell what species.

Looking at the Utrics that grow in Taiwan, and the fact that this was a rock wall and a bunch of lithophytes, I guess the round-leaved species has to be U. striatula, as Martin suggests (plus this is the only species of Phyllaria present in Taiwan, as far as I know). I was puzzled by the colour and shape of the "flowers", but I suppose these are really the capsules. As for the mixture of other leaves present in the pictures, especially the first, I don't think any of the other Taiwanese species of Utricularia are a good match. My guess is that these belong to a liverwort, but I'll admit it's a pretty uneducated guess ...

I go to this area a few times each year, so I should be able to get some clearer pictures at some point.

Thanks!