Photo
- - - - -

Outdoor sarracenia in England - heat requirements?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 meizwang

meizwang
  • Full Members
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia, disas, fruit trees, vegetables, south african bulbs, cacti...horticulture.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:59 PM

I actually have it very easy-the weather in general here in Northern California is mild and warm. However, when growing outdoors, you are at the mercy of mother nature. I remember we had one year in the late 90's where it was cloudy and cold until the end of June, and the plants looked horrible! But for the most part, they look like this:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Try to find the sunniest location possible.

#22 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 23:35 PM

I would like to ask, why is it, that under plasic, Sarras can get deeper colour than outside in the sun? I was looking for an answer online, but found nothing. Can someone explain and/or point me to an explaining link?
thanks!

#23 Megs

Megs
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Cold hardy plants new to cultivation; Kniphofia, Yuccas, Sarracenias, Drosera, cacti, mesembs, crassulaceans, Hibiscus.

Turtles from Europe and the US. Cold water fish, mainly Fundulus and cypriniids.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

In my experience, nothing beats the color of plants grown outside...
Martin

I would like to ask, why is it, that under plasic, Sarras can get deeper colour than outside in the sun? I was looking for an answer online, but found nothing. Can someone explain and/or point me to an explaining link?
thanks!

#24 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

thanks!

perhaps the hotter days boost anthocyanin levels?

#25 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 14:06 PM

perhaps the hotter days boost anthocyanin levels?

I guess that must be a factor, true, but then again, cold temperatures can also bring out the anthocyanins in certain plants, like Cephs, no?

#26 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 14:10 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11975729

...low temperatures cause an increase and elevated temperatures cause a decrease in anthocyanin concentration...

Confusing matter. Any biologists in the house?

#27 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 14:45 PM

I believe that's during respiration (at night) and that hot days favour production during photosynthesis, so you get maxumum colour with hot days and cold nights....