• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 19:32 PM

Hi everone!

Finally, Im moving house therefore I will have a huge space for my dream- a greenhouse! :sun_bespectacled: I've found these-
1) http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_4409wt_1036
2) http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1992wt_1059
3) http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1861wt_1330

All three are nearly the same size. I really don't have a clue what material is the best. I've seen the theread asking what is better ; glass or polycarbon and people answer that there not much difference apart from insulating properties (polycarbon).

Also because there's not much sun in the UK I would like to instal additional lighting but I don't have a clue if there a point in doing that. Plase would you help me? :flag_of_truce:

Edited by Gekon, 23 April 2012 - 19:32 PM.

#2 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:03 PM

I prefer glass personally, because it's clear. You don't need lighting - as long as there's minimum shade you'll get enough sun

#3 Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies
  • Full Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

It depends what you're trying to grow.

If it's just Sarracenias, you won't need heating, so insulation isn't a problem- and glass looks much nicer.

If you're going to heat it, polycarbonate has the edge, but whether it's glass or polycarb, you might want to consider bubble-wrapping the inside during winter.

And I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say: buy a greenhouse slightly bigger than you can afford. All collections of plants quickly expand to exceed space available.

Edited by Gareth Davies, 24 April 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#4 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 14:57 PM

It will be used to grow Sarra's, D.M's and hardy drosera's like D. Filiformis. Im going to buy a glass greenhouse then because I have to say- it looks much better ;)

Thanks for help! :D

#5 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 18:03 PM

Hello again

I've got one more question-

-I've found that that I will save quite a lot of money if I'll buy the clear polycarbonate greenhouse. However, Im worried about it as I heard that it blocks UV and as far as I know, UV makes the plants colour up nicely so Im stuck.

Also can anyone recommend any good greenhouse store? I''ve found a couple but I would like to hear from you.

#6 3Star

3Star
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Walking, playing guitar, blues and rock music........oh and CP's

Posted 29 May 2012 - 20:39 PM

Hi Gekon

I got mine at the end of last year from a company called the Greenhouse People, they have a good range of greenhouse. I bought the 6 x 8 Hercules Trafalger.

Dave

#7 3Star

3Star
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Walking, playing guitar, blues and rock music........oh and CP's

Posted 29 May 2012 - 20:39 PM

Hi Gekon

I got mine at the end of last year from a company called the Greenhouse People, they have a good range of greenhouses. I bought the 6 x 8 Hercules Trafalger.

Dave

#8 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:21 PM

Ok, cheers for your recommendation.

#9 joelugs

joelugs
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:46 PM

hi would polycarbon go brittle after a number of years :negative: . Ive had my a glass green house now for about 6 years and it was about 8 year old when i bought it off a well know auction site. and had no problems yet. :Laie_98: .
joe

#10 ombi

ombi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

polycarbonate greenhouse's let more light of the spectrum through than glass, good if your wanting to grow prized fruit, personally went for toughened glass.
seems to do the trick.

#11 StuartF

StuartF
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I had polycarbonate, but it never stayed put during the windy Scottish days. And once its loose, it flies very well. On one occassion we had to chase a panel down the street, although in its favour it did survive being run over by a truck.

#12 MrsF

MrsF
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

I had polycarbonate, but it never stayed put during the windy Scottish days. And once its loose, it flies very well. On one occassion we had to chase a panel down the street, although in its favour it did survive being run over by a truck.

I remember it well. We had storm force winds ravaging Scotland at the time and I left my front door to catch the bus. As I was locking up, I just happened out of chance to look in the opposite direction that I was planning on walking. That's when I saw about a hundred metres away in the distance, what looked like a polycarbonate panel 20 feet in the air above the main road. I thought, 'No, it can't be, what are the chances?'. So I went down to find it and yes, it was our polycarbonate being driven over by trucks and cars. Getting it back was difficult as well because it had creased down the middle and was folding in the wind.

If I had not just happened to have looked in that direction at the very moment that the polycarbonate was in mid-air it would have been on that road all day being run over.

We moved to proper glass after this and generally had more success, although in high winds the panes can crack when they fall out.