Photo
- - - - -

U. quelchii glands

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 20 April 2012 - 16:58 PM

Inspecting a stolon and leaf that has grown out of the side of my U. quelchii pot, I noticed that the stolon had small mucilage glands on it, with small amounts of sticky fluid, like very tiny pinguicula glands...has anyone ever noticed this before...and what is it for? A second method of carnivory, catching tiny soil creatures? Or something less dramatic?

I would take a photo, but they are too small for my camera to pick up.

#2 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

never noticed this phenomena before....throwing a hypothesis in the air, the mucilage could act as a water retainer to help the plant transition into producing tubers. would be exciting if it was an aid for carnivory indeed.

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,388 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Interesting observation James. Do you know anyone with a macro lens, who could photograph it for you?

#4 Miloslav Macháček

Miloslav Macháček
  • Full Members
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Cellular, molecular biology & biochemistry, CPs, photography, fantasy and SciFi, music, wild nature, astronomy, riding bike (used to be DH&FR).......

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Better then use conventional macro lenses it's more effective use flash and reverse technique for this purpose (I think). But it's shame that I did not have U.quelchi in my collection yet... My only older photo like this with "underground" stems or aerial runner is from U.nelumbifolia but it is totally different species... On young aerial stolons is something like glands - but hard to definite identify from photography...