• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Swerfer

Swerfer
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:25 PM

Hi,

I want a discussion about the usage of Trichoderma on Cephalotus. I know this subject past the review on this forum a couple of times, but I thought I post it anyway.
I have been growing Cephalotus for over two years now. My plants are on a window sill facing south. I never used Trichoderma on my Cephs.
But last year I had two clones of Cephalotus who were susceptible for mould. Leaves were having brown spots and colors turning dull/matt.
This year I tried acclimatizing these two plants outside, without the expected success. See a topic below.
Most of the leaves and pitchers turned brown because of harsh weather with dreadful full sun. My guess is that it was a bit ‘cold turkey’…

Now for the reason of this post, I am thinking of trying Trichoderma on the susceptible plants.
Have you guys using this product on Cephalotus noticed any difference on your plants?
I want to use Canna Trichoderma powder on mine (http://greenline.nl/...roducts_id=8566)

For what I understand you have to dissolve some powder in water before use. I don’t want to repot my plants for this.
Is this product also helpful with the tray method in watering Cephalotus or should it be thoroughly mixed to the soil?

And another thing, they say that the Trichoderma strain also promote the uptake of nutrients trough the root system.
But is it not so, that in Carnivorous plants, the nutrient uptake does not go trough the root system but trough its traps?
Thus growing Carnivorous plants in nutrient poor soil like sand or peat?
Is it not the plants reason to form traps just to get nutrients? What do you think?

Most of all I want to know if Cephalotus will grow better, healthier and stronger with the help of Trichoderma?

Regards,

Youri

#2 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:20 PM

Your best bet is to mix the "pourable" powder into a jug of distilled water (about a half teaspoon per gallon in the US) and pour it through your media. What nutrient-uptake Trichoderma assists or contributes to, is inconsequential to the protection afforded from many pathogenic fungi . . .

#3 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:32 PM

well I don't think anyone has done a proper comparative trial, however I use Trichoderma and feel it helps a lot. I water in in to the compost from above, although this is difficult as the powder will clog a watering can rose. I also use it on Sarracenia and you can see the fungus growing in the older leaf bases which then rot down without getting Botrytis.

#4 dimitar

dimitar
  • Full Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:36 PM

Well I use from more than 2 years Trichoderma atrovirde and Trichoderma viride but in liquid concentrate, not powder stuff with great results. I dilute 2.5 - 3ml concentrate in 250ml rain water for 1L pot. If the pot is bigger then the dosage is bigger. I water all my Cephs and Helis this way on the top of the pots every 3 - 4 months of the year. . .

#5 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:26 PM

I don't think you can find Trichoderma here in liquid form, but a good way to mix the powder into solution is to use a protien drink mixer/shaker ,these are easily found in any health food shop. Basically I use it as a drench pouring onto and around the plant,with cephs anyway,i think it's worth the effort.

#6 Swerfer

Swerfer
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I found the Canna Trichoderma here in the Netherlands, it was hard to come by. I treated the plants I thought needed the Trichoderma. The plants which have been susceptible for mould in the past. I also treated some offshoots I transplanted a few weeks ago. These offshoots consist of one root and need to do some rooting during acclimatization time. I also prepared new substrate for future use, mixed with the soluble Trichoderma. I have some new Cephalotus arriving which will probably be send bare root, so new substrate comes in handy.

What I am wondering is if I can put the prepared substrate/soil containing Trichoderma in the freezer for future use? And what about the Trichoderma solution prepared, how do I conserve this and for how long can this solution be used?

Regards,

Youri