Something is eating my Sarracenia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Please can someone help? Something has decided to start eating my Sarracenia. I don't know what it is. I have ruled out slugs and snails as there are no tell-tale trails. There are no silk webs or threads so some types of catepillars are also ruled out. I've checked the plants carefully and couldn't find any signs of anything that might do this. So far, it's had a go at 3 pitchers over the last week. This is the kind of damage it does.

Posted Image

Do you have any idea what it could be and, perhaps more importantly, how to kill it?

#2 frangelo

frangelo
  • Sponsor
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Nature, music...and good eating :)

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes

#3 Defalotus

Defalotus
  • Full Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Looks like grasshoppers to me.

#4 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:30 PM

could be a caterpillar, I get some do this occasionally and they hide in the old pitchers, quick spray of insecticide will sort it out. otherwise visit the plant at night with a torch, where you will likely find the culprit at work...

#5 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:41 PM

Looks like slug damage to me.They can be very sneaky and sometimes dont leave a trace of slime.
I have also seen leaf cutter bees do some damage similar to that. I only saw this because they were using one of the sarra pots to nest in near the greenhouse door.

ada

#6 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 14 April 2012 - 20:53 PM

Not grasshopper this time of year.

One culprit can be the caterpillar of the angle shades moth...but it is quite possibly slug as well. Look at night and you'll find him.

#7 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 15:19 PM

Thanks guys--I was suprised when you said slugs don't always leave a slime trail. I did put down some pellets but that didn't cause any slime to appear either.
I have been out with a torch the past 2 nights and found nothing, but it has been quite cold and it could be that the fat little so-and-so was full and didn't need to eat. If it is leaf cutter bees, for some reason, i wouldn't actually mind that too much.

Will keep loooking and will let you know as and when i find something.
Thanks again,

#8 Damien

Damien
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 21:13 PM

Could it be the vine weevil beetle - they cause damage like that.