Temperate Ping fungus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fishycps

fishycps
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:20 PM

Hi, last year my temperate pings were hit by what appeared to be a fungus which came in with some P. grandiflora rosea I bought. It spread to neighbouring pots (yes I know I should have quarantined it from the start) and killed a whole bunch of grandiflora, leptoceras and macroceras. I tried treating with Fungus fighter and Captan but to no discernible effect. It then seemed to stop however as the Pings died back into their winter buds. I thought I might get a fresh start this season but it now appears to be back as you can see from the attached pic of P. grandiflora rosea x longifolia. Is there anything I can do other than discard the affected plant?
Help!
Ian
http://www.cpukforum..._554_439702.jpg

#2 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:38 PM

That's an odd one.
Are you sure firstly that they've not suffered a late bit of frost it just seems odd they survived dormancy when I would expect rot and fungus to be at its worst then.
And odd (from what I can see in the pics) that the leaves are getting damage before the crown, I would have thought the smaller weaker ones would be the first to go too. Is there visible fungus ?
Ian.

Edited by Ian Salter, 10 April 2012 - 19:40 PM.

#3 fishycps

fishycps
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:50 PM

Hi Ian,so far I'm pretty certain it isn't frost, no other plants have been hit. The pattern is consitent with last year when I first observed it during that balmy May we had, it starts out with a leaf yellowing and then going pink/red. It then progresses inwards to the crown and then it's curtains for the plant. I had a couple for which solely Captan seened to help for a while, the Fungus Fighter if anything hastened the plants demise. It's only in the latter stages that fungus is readily apparent.
I could be wrong on IDing it as a fungus, I'm afraid I'm only a zoologist!
Cheers, Ian

#4 kisscool_38

kisscool_38
  • Full Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hello,

Too hot temps may also result in a decay of the crown. Nothing to do, just see it dying.
Another thing I noted on Pings is that when an adult plant is surrounding by too many plantlets (as it is the case here), the mother plant die and let space for those many plantlets.

Regards

Aymeric

#5 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

do you grow them in a greenhouse? Temperate Pings much prefer somewhere outside, like an unheated coldframe, with good ventilation.

#6 fishycps

fishycps
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 13:02 PM

Hi Stephen, I keep them in coldframes with the lid propped open to ensure they get good ventilation.
Ian

#7 jeff 1

jeff 1
  • Full Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:15 PM

Bonjour

certainly a hot shot

the temperate ping ( except 2-3) must always remain outdoor.

jeff

#8 fishycps

fishycps
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:19 PM

Hi, I keep all my temperate pings in well ventilated coldframes outdoors. Temperature is not the issue. The plant in the picture is now dead, rotted through to the base of the crown along with every daughter plant that was in contact with the infected leaves. It only took 48hrs from the pic. I've transplanted all of the seemingly daughter plants and treated with Captan. Fingers crossed......
Ian