Photo
- - - - -

U. sandersonii: What water level?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:27 PM

Hey everyone.

I've had my sandersonii for a year now and it's been doing reasonable well but I can't help thinking that it should be so much better. I've been watering it via the tray method standing in a cm or 2 or water.

The other day it dawned on me, how on earth will the traps function if it's not really wet?

So, my question is how far from the surface of the soil should the water level actually be?

Thanks

Richard

#2 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:31 PM

I've always kept mine undrained and water level very high. Never stopped flowering for nearly 2 years now.

#3 Hermes

Hermes
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 17:44 PM

I flooded my sandersonii to the soil line and let the level drop. Sandersonii is a terrestrial utric, so it does not need flooding for the traps to function. However, by flooding and letting the water level drop, can put stress upon the plant that will make the plant bloom. :thumbsup: If that doesn't work, you might also want to check your lighting to see if you have enough. I grew my utrics under MHs and had them bloom constantly for me.

#4 Hermes

Hermes
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 18:00 PM

Posted Image