• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 20:57 PM

Hio

In a few weeks time I'm buying another terrarium. For 99% its going to be used to grow Drosera Petiolaris Complex. Therefore, I would like to ask you what do you think about that set up:

-The terrarium would be Juwel Rio 180.

-The lighting it's going to be is 4x39W- 2x ARCADIA T5 PLANT PRO and 2x http://www.lightbulb...65-ho-daylight/

-To increase the humidity I would use Exo Terra Monsoon RS400- why? I would connect the other hose to my other terrarium as well.

I think that should be good for these plants but I'm not sure so I want to ask the professional's :D

Edited by Gekon, 01 April 2012 - 21:22 PM.

#2 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

those should be fine. my main question to you, and i think this is the most important, but what will be the highs and lows of your tank? petiolaris love a hot, sticky environment---how will you be able to fulfill this? how will you be able to keep this as the winter time closes in? just a few thoughts....

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I don't grow these, so more of a question than an answer, but if they like it hot and sticky then wouldn't a tank with water in the base, equipped with an aquarium heater and a platform (egg crate) above for the plants not be a better solution than a fogger? That way you could regulate the temperature and provide humidity.

#4 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Together the lightning will produce A LOT of heat. However, If that won't work I will buy a heat mat- same one that is used in lizard's terrarium's.

#5 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 23:51 PM

sounds good. take pics if you can. :)

#6 lilacina

lilacina
  • Full Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi,
all you need for successfully growing of Drosera of the Petiolaris-complex is a Terrarium of 1m x 0,5 x 0,5 (mine has NO air-lattice in the cover to avoid loosing humidity) and four T5-tubes of 39W each and light colours 840 and 865 (two of each). Place the tubes about 20cm above the plants.
If you´ll place the setting in a room with normal room-temperature you´ll need no additional heating for the tubes will do the same.
The pots of my plants are placed on the ground with no other underground beneath them and I´m watering these frequently that the plants are standing in water for a few days.When all water has been soaken up the plants are watered again.
The plants like sticky,humid air,so concerning my experiences they need no additional ventilation and also mould will be no problem. But note: it COULD be a problem if you´ll place the terrarium in a cool room like your cellar. I could imagine that additional heating will be necessary then.
These growing experiences are based on a terrarium in the size I mentioned above. If you´ll choose a smaller or larger one the size of the tubes of course has to be adapted.

#7 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hi

Thanks for your help! :) There is a slight change in my plans- the aquarium Im going to use is Juwel Rio 125, not 180 as there was an offer on ebay. Smaller aquarium means that the lightning will be change as well- 4x24W, not 4x39W. However, I have spoke to one of the users on Polish CP forum and he told me that this will be ok.

The heating will cause main problem.This is beacuse the terrarium will stand right next to the window -I love to sleep when a window is open :happy: - which means that the temperature inside would be no more that 25 Celcious. I was thinking about the heat mat connected to a thermostat set on 32/35 degrees. I could also use the aquarium heater which is currently being unused, but using that method means that the water level inside the terra should be no less than 3/4cm. Im not sure if plants can stand in that level of water non-stop...

So you'r suggesting that there is no need for a air circulation? How about mould and other unwanted fungies...? I know that you've mentioned that they love ''sticky,humid air'' but still the mould would affect the plants= it won't look nice on the plants.

#8 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I could also use the aquarium heater which is currently being unused, but using that method means that the water level inside the terra should be no less than 3/4cm. Im not sure if plants can stand in that level of water non-stop...

With this method it is common for the plants to sit above the water level, on egg crate.

#9 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 15:03 PM

I've decided that Im going to use a heat mat connected to a thermostat. Therefore, I went to the pet shop today and brought these...

To reflect the heat I am going to place the mat on the aluminium sheet. In order to distribute the heat evenly around the terrarium, I would use the sand but Im not sure how to do that :confused: