• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivorous triffid

carnivorous triffid
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi

My cobra lily has began to produce quite a few stolons. I was wondering if these will begin to produce pitchers the size of the current ones on the plant straight away and if they should be further below the soil level.

http://tinypic.com/r/16as47m/5

#2 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi CT

I'm not sure how big your current pitchers are, but stolons normally produce smaller pitchers say 2 or3" high or a bit more in the first year, until they develop full root systems then they behave like the adult and grow larger pitchers over the subsequent years.
If by "they should be further down below the soil level", again it is difficult to say, not knowing where the stolon is currently. It is common for them to grow at or on soil level as well as below, in either case I wouldnt worrry, they have a habbit of being able to sort themselves out, unless it is in a small pot and is overcrowded, or jumping out of a pot of course.

Hope that helps
Steve

#3 carnivorous triffid

carnivorous triffid
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 14:36 PM

Hi CT

I'm not sure how big your current pitchers are, but stolons normally produce smaller pitchers say 2 or3" high or a bit more in the first year, until they develop full root systems then they behave like the adult and grow larger pitchers over the subsequent years.
If by "they should be further down below the soil level", again it is difficult to say, not knowing where the stolon is currently. It is common for them to grow at or on soil level as well as below, in either case I wouldnt worrry, they have a habbit of being able to sort themselves out, unless it is in a small pot and is overcrowded, or jumping out of a pot of course.

Hope that helps
Steve

At the moment, the pitchers from last year are still healthy and are about 8 inches high. The stolons are actually out of the top above the surface of the earth - should I attempt to cover them up with some more soil?

#4 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 14:49 PM

They won't need it, but they'll probably look more aesthetically pleasing if you cover them up.