open air, full sun

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Swerfer

Swerfer
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have two Cephalotus plants in my collection that have been susceptible for mould, the other year. So this year I tried hardening these two plants in open air in full sun in a garden facing south. But unfortunately, I am not fond of this hardening process. The old leaves have turned brown from sun damage. Ok this is not a big deal for me, because the new growth shows deep red leaves. Unfortunately on one plant, also the new leaves show high sun damage. I have decided that this plant will go back to its safe windowsill facing south. A couple of pictures of this plant are shown attached to this post. I still want to keep one plant in the garden in open air, just as an experiment. This one is also in a lager pot for this type of hardening. Also on this plant, leaves are dying from this climate change.
Do you grow your plant in open air in sun and what is your experience? Also can I chip this plant from its old/sun browned leaves, without killing or damaging the plant any more? Or should I just wait until the leaves die of further on their own?
My goal is to get hardy sun-deep red plants. How can I achieve this best? (I don’t own a greenhouse)

Regards,

Youri

http://www.flytrapca...le.php?id=13831
http://www.flytrapca...le.php?id=13832
http://www.flytrapca...le.php?id=13833

#2 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:18 PM

Dont know about these plants specifically but hardening to more extreme conditions should be a gradual thing. You could take them out for a few hours in the early morning or late afternoon for a few weeks, or if you dont want all that exercise you could put them out partially shaded for a few weeks then gradually remove the shade.

#3 Vartax

Vartax
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Plants, Electronics, Computers

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:35 PM

I have mine in my bancony all year long he as allways red leafs and traps. The bigger diference I see in yours is that mine is in a larger pots so the roots stay cooler and he is in a water tray so there is allways some humidity around.

#4 Marcus B

Marcus B
  • Full Members
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:CP, turtles, birds, native plants

Posted 26 March 2012 - 21:51 PM

Mine spend much of the summer in the open, in direct sun light, only shading them on hot dry days (over 35oC). They spend much of the rest of their time in a hot house that is open for much of the time, allowing direct sun and air movement for part of the day. I get a little bit of sun damage, but mainly they just go from green to dark purple and back to reddish green as the amount of sunlight and temperature range varies over summer. They then go deeper colours when we get cold nights in late autumn and winter.

#5 Blocky71

Blocky71
  • Full Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 17:27 PM

Is this definately sun damage that's being shown in the photo's?.
My plants also have some brown leaves, i just thought this was a natural "shedding" as the winter leaves die back and the summer pitchers take over?.
Many thanks, Blocky71

#6 will9

will9
  • Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:cactussen, succulenten, gardenplants, carnivores - all plants

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

You are from the Netherlands ,so the same weather then we have ,if you set your plants outside in the full sun just before the 14 days of full summer last month then your plants are burning,this heat came from one day to another,the one day it s where 11° the next day it s 25° ,even some plants in my garden are burn t up after years in full sun.
The weather is change day by day ,sometimes whit a temp difference of more then 20°,plants not got the time for acclimate on this short time and burn whit the first sun she got.Sun burn t the last years more and more when she is shinning.
By normall weather plants not burm in open air ,it s only when you have that extreme weather,
Cheers Will