• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stuieg

stuieg
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 20:53 PM

Hi,
I have a beautiful sarracenia mitchelliana and a S.Leucophylla both in the same 3 inch (75mm) pot - measured at the base. The plants were really, really growing last year and now the roots are poking through the drainage holes. My questions are;

Do I need to repot the plants ?
Should I divide them up ?
When do I do any of the above ?
Could I kill them off if it goes wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers

#2 alexa

alexa
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:13 PM

From the bottom question up, unlikely, now, and depends on what size pots you have and it would be good if we could see a photograph.

To be more specific, you really only need to repot the plants if the crowns of the plant are against the lip of the pot or of they have been in the same pot for three years or so. The roots poking out from the bottom are not a problem, many of mine do and if they get really long I trim them back, it doesn't harm the plant at all.

If you do decide to the repot, then you don't have to divide it up if you are putting the whole rhizome into a larger pot that can comfortably hold it with room to grow. Late winter and spring is the best time to do this, but some growers do this year round and don't seem to have trouble, but I would not recommend it myself.

Could you kill it? More than likely not, Sarracenia are pretty hardy plants, as long as you use the right potting medium, peat and perlite, then you should be fine. I wrote a guide to repotting on this forum, I don't know where it is now, try searching the archive, but its pretty simple to be honest, but any problems, post here or PM me.

I hope this helps
Alex.

#3 stuieg

stuieg
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

From the bottom question up, unlikely, now, and depends on what size pots you have and it would be good if we could see a photograph.

To be more specific, you really only need to repot the plants if the crowns of the plant are against the lip of the pot or of they have been in the same pot for three years or so. The roots poking out from the bottom are not a problem, many of mine do and if they get really long I trim them back, it doesn't harm the plant at all.

If you do decide to the repot, then you don't have to divide it up if you are putting the whole rhizome into a larger pot that can comfortably hold it with room to grow. Late winter and spring is the best time to do this, but some growers do this year round and don't seem to have trouble, but I would not recommend it myself.

Could you kill it? More than likely not, Sarracenia are pretty hardy plants, as long as you use the right potting medium, peat and perlite, then you should be fine. I wrote a guide to repotting on this forum, I don't know where it is now, try searching the archive, but its pretty simple to be honest, but any problems, post here or PM me.

I hope this helps
Alex.

#4 stuieg

stuieg
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Sorry about the previous post, I am trying to work out how to post / attahc the pictures. . . . . Read the help topic on it, but I dont seem to have the 'choose file' button anywhere ??