Heli Dying?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 19:17 PM

So yea i got this Heliamphora now for a couple of weeks I aclimatised it to my conditions i grow it in. But now suddenly pitchers start just drying out mostly from the top not like people tell here from the bottom with SDS can this happen to a Heli like with Nephentes that the pitchers dry up when they are getting used to a new place?

The plant is btw a Heliamphora x heterodoxa x minor, So I'm wondering could it just lose its old pitchers and after awhille grow new ones? or is he probably dying?

A pic with the problem, He isnt that weird of a color it's just a quick snap with the camera from my phone ;) You see the few Healthy pitchers and some of the 'Sick' ones.
Posted Image

#2 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,812 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 22 March 2012 - 19:51 PM

Looks suspiciously like sudden death syndrome...

#3 ice00

ice00
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 20:05 PM

Those pitchers seems to be like as the plants is not able to take water and so have a compromized rizome, but I lost only a plant for similar problem so cannot help too much in this.

I know that many cultivar did not use live spagnum moss on Heliamphore, but myself use lot of it to prevent attacks of fungus (else I don't use peat for them). In my opition I would put some live spagnum around the pitchers of that plant (however if plant is dying this not resolve in every case :( )

#4 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 21:03 PM

Those pitchers seems to be like as the plants is not able to take water and so have a compromized rizome, but I lost only a plant for similar problem so cannot help too much in this.

I know that many cultivar did not use live spagnum moss on Heliamphore, but myself use lot of it to prevent attacks of fungus (else I don't use peat for them). In my opition I would put some live spagnum around the pitchers of that plant (however if plant is dying this not resolve in every case :( )

It's really weird ill try it but yea I dont see massive fungus and not going to repot him now it'll kill him for sure...

#5 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 21:21 PM

You say that you have acclimatised it to your conditions. What conditions are these? The plant looks like it's lacking humidity to me. Judging by the colour, flared pitchers and small nectar spoon, it's also not used to much light.

#6 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:21 PM

a couple of weeks is not really long enough to acclimatise, like mobile I suspect it is not used to the different conditions

#7 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:00 AM

a couple of weeks is not really long enough to acclimatise, like mobile I suspect it is not used to the different conditions

I thought it would be enough, I dont have the plant under artificial light. On a windowsill never wet but moist soil so poor a bit off water on it wait for it to go trough and remove the water under it. These are the pitchers that came with it it hasn't made new ones yet. More info i can't really give is there a way to save it since it has a couple of good pitchers left? Put it back in a ziplock bag to get more Humidity?

And not place it in too much sunlight for now? Since it's not used to alot of sunlight yet?

Edited by Madball, 23 March 2012 - 00:10 AM.

#8 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Do you know the conditions from where the plant came, as these would be a good starting point to aim for? Acclimatisation requires the conditions to be changed slowly, over a long period of time and there is a limit to how much a plant is able to reasonably adjust. Typically growers have Heliamphora growing in terrariums, which will have elevated humidity. Be careful of high humidity with inadequate airflow, as this can cause fungal issues.

#9 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Do you know the conditions from where the plant came, as these would be a good starting point to aim for? Acclimatisation requires the conditions to be changed slowly, over a long period of time and there is a limit to how much a plant is able to reasonably adjust. Typically growers have Heliamphora growing in terrariums, which will have elevated humidity. Be careful of high humidity with inadequate airflow, as this can cause fungal issues.

Yeah i know about the fungal issues, but no I dont really know the conditions I'll try to figure it out =) thanks for the help hope hell be ok and else well it's a lesson =)

Edited by Madball, 25 March 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#10 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Good news! I placed the heli back into a ziplock bag cut the bad leaves away beforehand and today i found out he has 2 tiny new leaves! :sun_bespectacled: Thank you early spring and ofcourse you guys for your help =)

#11 jeff 1

jeff 1
  • Full Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

lack hygrometry

you can use also a water bottle ( 5l - 8l) you cut this one to a third inferior,you put the pot in this third with water , and you re-cover with the bottle rest , some time you open the cap for the aeration.

jeff