somthing kills my sarracenias

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alexcpdk

Alexcpdk
  • Full Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:35 PM

how keeps Sarracenia best through vintern? I've got something that looks like a gray fungus on some of my plants. and it kills the piece of plant it is on. why do this? it is because I keep my plants too wet, and without wind?

help

#2 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:41 PM

If you can, post a picture, but it does sound like the dreaded botrytis, very often a killer..and yes, in the Winter time you shouldn't keep your plants too wet, only slightly moist, good ventilation is a plus too.

#3 Alexcpdk

Alexcpdk
  • Full Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:48 PM

If you can, post a picture, but it does sound like the dreaded botrytis, very often a killer..and yes, in the Winter time you shouldn't keep your plants too wet, only slightly moist, good ventilation is a plus too.

so that's why my plants have gotten it? I opened the greenhouse door and removed the leaves with the disease. Can the plants survive the attack? and is there anything else I can do?

#4 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:56 PM

I have never been able to save plants diseased with botrytis. Unearth the plant, cut away all the dead brown rhizome bits, cut until you reach healthy white rhizome, perhaps also spray with a fungicide, replant, pray (or hope, if you are an atheist). Good luck!

#5 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:58 PM

http://www.cpukforum...=1

#6 jesse

jesse
  • Full Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

how keeps Sarracenia best through vintern? I've got something that looks like a gray fungus on some of my plants. and it kills the piece of plant it is on. why do this? it is because I keep my plants too wet, and without wind?

You don't tell anything about the cultivation conditions and all, but I can make a guess.

Perhaps it's the same as with several Sarracenia growers in Northern Germany, who are growing Sarracenia in unheated greenhouses. The have lost many of their Sarracenia this winter due to heavy frost, which came much too late this winter, after the plants started to develop flower stalks and flower buds already.

This has happened:
- winter was much too warm until 28th of January (+5...+10°C outside) this year
- temperatures in the unheated greenhouse was much higher than outside as they kept windows closed
- Sarracenia started growing from their growing points, flower stalks and buds
- then starting from 29th of January the temperature dropped very quickly by 20°C down within 48 hours
- downto -10...-15°C for several weeks
- full frost arrived within few hours later in the mostly small, unheated and not so well insulated greenhouses
==> Sarracenia rhizomes frozen while not winter hardy after starting theier growing cycle
==> After thawing, many (50%+) Sarracenia rhizomes were dead, brown mush
==> Fungus take over the brown mush rhizomes

Some owners of unheated greenhouses in my area have lost more than half of their Sarracenia collection in my area (near Hamburg, Germany), although the lowest winter temperatures were not so low as in earlier years with no Sarracenia losses. But "the real winter" never came so late as is did this year.

So are you talking about Sarracenia kept in an unheated greenhouse?

#7 Sarra100

Sarra100
  • Full Members
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia

Posted 22 March 2012 - 19:45 PM

Jesse
you are absolutely right.
Exactly this is happened here and also to other sarraceniea growers.
Still now I found every day pots with dead sarracenias
I am very happy that you help me to build up a new collection.
I thank you very much.

Kind regards
Gerd

#8 David Ahrens

David Ahrens
  • Full Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:CP's, photography.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:18 PM

You need to keep your plants absolutely bone dry when it is cold. I have kept my Sarracenias in an unheated dark garage for a number of years and I haven't lost a plant for ages. Psychologically this is difficult to do because you think that they are bog plants and need water and will die without water. I water my plants during the winter by putting half an inch of water in the trays every three weeks for five minutes only then the trays are emptied. I guarantee if you do this you won't lose a plant.
I was lucky this winter because I had the use of a greenhouse but the same principles were used.
They need water when they start growing again, not too much, but if they ae kept too dry at this time, it does affect the pitchers.