• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 21:21 PM

Hi everyone :)

In a couple of days days I will buy a D. Regia. But the problem is- the weather... its starting to get warmer and more sunny in Manchester. However, its still a bit cold over night and in the mornings. Therefore, Im wondering if its ok to put her outside despite the weather or put her in terrarium just in case?

Thanks for your help
  • Deadly Weapon likes this

#2 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 18:47 PM

I've kept mine on the windowsill over winter, but then I've only had it since July :whistling: I was thinking of putting it out in the greenhouse when the threat of frost has finally gone.

Regards,

#3 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:53 PM

D. regia's natural habitat is the Baines Kloof pass in South Africa. During the Winter months temps. can drop to about 5°C...
check out these growing guides too: http://www.carnivoro...des/D_regia.php

#4 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 17:04 PM

I've decided that to the middle of April, plants will be kept in my terrarium. After that, they're going outside :) Thanks for help!

#5 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 17:52 PM

I think that's a wise decision. :sun_bespectacled:

#6 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:03 PM

I think that as well. I would put them outside stright away but the mornings and night are still very cold so I don't want to risk that ;) Thats why I'll wait untill next month :)

Just one more question. My plants are going to be 8 cm long on arrival. What pot size is the best to put them in? I know they can have a very long roots.

Edited by Gekon, 22 March 2012 - 22:04 PM.

#7 MH1

MH1
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 19:16 PM

I put mine out last week- living dangerously! They're fine so far, though. I'm just keeping an eye out for frosts. Mine haven't been kept warm through winter though, so they're pretty accustomed to ~5/6C lows.

#8 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:51 PM

D. regia's natural habitat is the Baines Kloof pass in South Africa. During the Winter months temps. can drop to about 5°C...
check out these growing guides too: http://www.carnivoro...des/D_regia.php

Does anyone fertilise their plants as suggested in the link?

#9 Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:59 PM

D.Regia is one of the few Drosera that appreciate Root fertilization, but you still need to be careful to not overdo it. I fertilize mine with quarter strength fish emulsion.

#10 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:29 PM

I might try it...

#11 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:13 PM

no, they grow fast enough as it is!

#12 kinabalufan

kinabalufan
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 18:52 PM

Be careful about the terrarium I killed my first regia that way. In my experience they like lower humidity and cooler temps I grow mine on a windowsill all year I feed it as regularly as I can with small flies and it catches a few moths and the odd fly. (not many insects inside my house) I grew my current plant from seed. Its got 15 cm long leaves and is in a 15 cm pot. Roots are starting to show at the bottom of the pot. Good luck with your plant.

#13 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 20:22 PM

Current humidity in the terra is between 70-80%...do you think its not good for these plants? In UK its almost impossible to grow her on a windowsill all year round. Good luck with yours too.

#14 kinabalufan

kinabalufan
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 20:12 PM

Well Im not sure I know they are prone to rotting if they get too wet and if the humidity is too high, air movement is important. They can take reasonably cold conditions Dunedin gets pretty cold in the winter getting down to near zero some nights even inside the house in unheated rooms. I was growing my current plant in the kitchen and the leaves were not growing very erect so I moved it to a windowsill with lower humidity and its leaves are growing more erectly less limp if that makes sense? As Spring in the UK gets warmer I would move it out of the terrarium if you can.

#15 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 11 April 2012 - 13:33 PM

Does D. regia prefer a pot that is tall, so that the roots can extend down or wide, so that the roots can spread horizontally?

#16 kinabalufan

kinabalufan
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 20:12 PM

I have mine in a tall pot and the roots have gone right to the bottom I guess keeping the roots cool is important so I would go with a tall pot.

#17 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:18 PM

Time to repot!

#18 Damien

Damien
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 20:30 PM

I have had a total of 4 since I began growing CP's ......

I have LOST a total 4 since I began growing CP's .....

I'll say no more :wall3: :wall3: :wall3:

They obviously don't like me !!

#19 Dave Evans

Dave Evans
  • Full Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hey Damien,

Don't give up! They are not the easiest kinds of plants to grow.

Maybe come at it a different way, visit a natural location or visit with some one who's been growing for while and see how they're doing things.