- - - - -

How wet do you keep S. minor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheCarnifreak

TheCarnifreak
  • Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants (of course), traveling, nature, Bon Jovi, Muse, U2

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:13 PM

Hi all,

When I see habitat pictures of S. minor (esspecially var. okefenokeensis) plants are standing very wet, mostly with their rhyzomes almost under water.

I always keep S. minor like all Sarracenia's, in 2-8 cm of water (using 20 cm high pots). I'm thinking of putting them in a big layer of water, with the water level at the top of the pots. Maybe plants will grow bigger, esspecially var. okefenokeensis. Thats the idea.

How wet do you all grow S. minor? Has anybody experimented with this and what were the results? I'd be very interested.

Cheers,

Ries

#2 olive84

olive84
  • Full Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 21:33 PM

Hi Ries,

I tested since several years to grow S. Minor var. Okeefenokeensis in a bucket with some centimeters of water but results is not very impressive, approximatively 60-70 cm in size.

Oliv

#3 dimitar

dimitar
  • Full Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:25 PM

I grow them like all other sarras. Nothing different and they grow perfectly. The pots are placed in 6-7 cm water.

#4 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:31 PM

From what I've heard over the years, growing them very wet makes no differerence to the size.

#5 TheCarnifreak

TheCarnifreak
  • Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants (of course), traveling, nature, Bon Jovi, Muse, U2

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hmm...thats not the news I was hoping for :P. But I'm going to try it anyway. I'll put all my plants in a bucket with the water on the surface of the pot. Let see what happens. :)

Thanks all for your reactions. And if anybody has other experiences, I'd be interested to hear about it!

Cheers!

#6 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:30 PM

Hi Reis

Similar to the others I grow mine in a bog with a water level upto 10cm below the plant with good results, I've never tried innundating them with water as they seem perfectly happy as they are. I wonder if peoples experiments with a plant in a bucket do not show any better growth results, due to the fact that in a flooded bog in nature such as Okee, due to the presence of acidic matter in it, the water will remain acidic and gather tannins from pines etc, whereas in a bucket, over the season, the initial acidity generated by the peat in the water, may become diluted and therefore less favourable for growth.
Well worth trying though, let us know how it works out.
Good luck.
Steve

Edited by billynomates666, 22 March 2012 - 13:31 PM.

#7 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 14:15 PM

I agree with Steve that the water chemistry in a bucket is going to be very different to that in the wild, and you should be looking at a larger volume of water than a bucket to give it a fair trial. I would go further than say the conditions would be less favourable in a bucket, I think that the water in the bucket will go stagnant and eutrophic with a detrimental effect unless you change the water regularly.