- - - - -

Disas from back in the day

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meizwang

meizwang
  • Full Members
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia, disas, fruit trees, vegetables, south african bulbs, cacti...horticulture.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:33 PM

Below are pictures from my first attempt to grow Disas. They did very well at first-they were grown in an unheated greenhouse in Sacramento, California. However, as the summer approached with 116F temperatures, they definitely suffered.

Fortunately, a year later, I moved back near the coast, so the summer months no longer kill them off. However, we do get winter freezing, where the top layer of the medium is solid ice. Some leaves get burned from the cold, which makes them produce smaller plants and flowers. Fortunately, they survive and don't get killed from the cold.

Anyhow, enjoy these photos I dug up from my old photo library:

Disa 1104, originally from Asuka, I think it's a pure uniflora:
Posted Image

Disa 122(the red one on the right)-I've used this for breeding. While the shape was nothing to rave about, the size of the flowers, number of flowers per spike, overall vigor and color transferred over to the offspring. This clone died since it was a seedling without a tuber:
Posted Image

close up of D. 122:
Posted Image

D. Robert Cywes?:
Posted Image

Orange disa:
Posted Image

My favorite D. kewensis Unfortunately, no tuber was formed:
Posted Image

An overview of the collection, 2005:
Posted Image

#2 Zagato

Zagato
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:44 PM

Beautiful!!! Very nice flowers :thumbsup:

#3 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 20:38 PM

So colourful! :biggrin:

#4 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:29 PM

Very nice! We're attempting to grow disas at the moment, this has further encouraged me!

#5 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,444 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:52 PM

Very nice! We're attempting to grow disas at the moment, this has further encouraged me!

Resurrecting this thread my interest some people in what I found. Take a look at what I posted here My linkhttp://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46636&view=findpost&p=320614