Photo
- - - - -

New arrivals flowering

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: New arrivals flowering (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you cut off the flower bud of a newly purchased plant?

1. Yes (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Depends on the size of the rhizome / roots (8 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Depends on the size of the flower bud (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Don't know / Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ordovic

Ordovic
  • Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:This, that and the other.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

I recently acquired some Sarracenia plants sent bare root. Two alatas were already sending up flower buds on arrival (for the record approx 5mm diameter on 2-3cm high stalks) and was pondering if it is a good or bad idea to cut the buds off to help the plants establish in their new environment or should I not worry and just enjoy the flowers.

Big shout out to Mike King for some really good sized plants in excellent condition. Thanks.

Edited by Ordovic, 10 March 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#2 Stu

Stu
  • Full Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I read a similar thing recently suggesting flower buds are removed on newly divided rhizomes.

I would be inclined not to remove them myself, unless the rhizome/roots are obviously too small to support the plants growth (which is what I have voted).

This is speaking from my own situation though; where I know my plants will receive full sun in my greenhouse and in the south-east of the UK will (usually!) receive a good long summer/autumn, followed by a relatively mild winter.

#3 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

personally I would always remove flowers, as they undoubtedly sap energy. On a vigorous, large plant it can easily replace this lost energy over summer, but smaller or recently divided will suffer a bit. I actually remove ALL Sarracenia flowers unless I want seed, particularly leucophylla as I feel I am at the northern UK limit to growing this successfully...

#4 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,703 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'm with Stephen on this, i always remove flowers unless i want seed too.

Sometimes i find division seems to stimulate flowering in the smaller new division whilst the older bit doesn't flower,i wonder if this is some sort of survival mechanism.

ada

#5 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 14:36 PM

I don't see the point of cutting them off, as long as you don't allow pollination. The flowers still photosynthesise and have quite a large area to do so with the umbrella style. And since they last all season, they harness much more energy than it takes to grow. Each seed saps energy though, so just avoid pollination.

#6 TheCarnifreak

TheCarnifreak
  • Full Members
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants (of course), traveling, nature, Bon Jovi, Muse, U2

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:36 PM

Absolutely not neccessary, but I always cut them off. In my opinion the plant has more energy to establish itself.

Besides that, I'm always more interested in getting big pitchers then in flowers. I just let them flower to pollinate and make crosses. But thats me :P

Cheers!

Edited by TheCarnifreak, 12 March 2012 - 17:38 PM.

#7 Ordovic

Ordovic
  • Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:This, that and the other.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:07 PM

An interesting split of opinion!

Thanks to all for your responses.