- - - - -

H. neblinae "viridis"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 16:40 PM

With the various name changes etc is this form now classified as H. neblinae (Cerro Neblina)or is it still considered a different clone?

cheers

bill

#2 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:44 PM

Hi Bill,

Hope your losses have ended now.

It may be best to post some pic's of it for people to look at, and try and ID, what you have.

But the answer to your basic question - No, according to Stewarts new book, "H. neblinae var. viridis is regarded as having no taxonomic value".
It states that "Recent study of the holotype .... has revealed that this plant was based on an etiolated specimen of H. parva."

It also says Stewarts description of neblinae in the last book was incorrect and that he confused different species due to the original description of neblinae not matching the actual holotype.

You may want to get a copy of the new book - although how long it will be before yet another new one with yet more changes comes out is anyones guess.

#3 Dave Evans

Dave Evans
  • Full Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:"The man of a thousand retirements
    Will always be the one to tell you when to quit
    I won't take stock in a withered man
    I'm reaching into you, I'll make you understand"

Posted 21 March 2012 - 00:50 AM

Not really that confusing to me. I never thought H. parva, H. nebinae and H. macdonaldae where the same thing. Why is Stewart so much better at Heliamhora taxonomy than with Sarracenia?

#4 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:28 PM

Hi Bill,

Hope your losses have ended now.

It may be best to post some pic's of it for people to look at, and try and ID, what you have.

Alas this plant also has now collasped and looks beyond saving. Certainly this Sudden death syndrome does not seem to be only caused by high temperatures.

:(

bill