• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carnivorous triffid

carnivorous triffid
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 22:14 PM

Hi

A few weeks back I planted about 10 standard VFT seeds. Just this week, one of the seedlings germinated, however, all of the other seeds are coated with a grey mould. I sprayed the seeds with antifungal spray which has killed off the mould for now, but will the seed still be viable or is it liikely that the mould has killed the seed?

#2 BrassLeaves

BrassLeaves
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Hi

A few weeks back I planted about 10 standard VFT seeds. Just this week, one of the seedlings germinated, however, all of the other seeds are coated with a grey mould. I sprayed the seeds with antifungal spray which has killed off the mould for now, but will the seed still be viable or is it liikely that the mould has killed the seed?

It's different every time. Only one way to find out really. Just keep with them. It won't hurt to wait to see if they do germinate.
If they do then you have some new plants :) If they don't then you haven't lost anymore than if you had given up on them now.

#3 Giovanni Schober

Giovanni Schober
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 19:34 PM

Hi,

did the plants still germinate? I had the same problem with Nepenthes seeds a long time ago. But they never germinated.

Kind regards
Giovanni

#4 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 18:12 PM

Hi

I sieve and sterilise the peat before sowing VFT seeds on to it, that kills off most of the mould spores in it and also slows down the moss which soon outgrows the seedlings and smothers them. A humidity dome helps the seedlings and stops a lot of the air born spores from landing on them.

Trev

#5 jimlard

jimlard
  • Full Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:C.P's, gardening, bonsai, tropical fish keeping, walking, photography, wildlife, reading and acoustic guitar......oh, and sausages.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 14:06 PM

Can I tag on the end here? I sowed some VFT seed on 25.05.2012, not one has germinated, I can see some seed on the surface and they still look shiny and undamaged by mould. Do you think it is possible to have some germinate after 5-6 weeks or am I flogging a dead horse?
The seeds were sown on top of peat moss which is being kept wet (wetter than I keep my plants) as I understood it this was good for germination. The seed tray is in my little greenhouse which has had temperatures fluctuate from 8C to 42C over the last few weeks. I do my best to keep it in the twenties though.
I have not put a cover over the seed tray as I thought air movement will help deter mould.
The seed was from a reputable source too so I am certain the seed is viable, it's just down to me. Does anything that I'm doing in my brief description shout out to you as being blatantly wrong? :confused:

#6 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 14:43 PM

Sometimes it can take a couple of months.