newbie(ish) questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivoor

carnivoor
  • Full Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

A couple of months ago I bought 4 Nepenthes plants (my first).They were bare root so I knew they'd most likely sulk for a while.

The x hookeriana seemed to have no problems with the move into my home; it finished making the pitcher that was already growing and went on growing more leaves. It now started to enlarge some of the , how should I call them pre or proto pitchers, and I expect I will have more mature pitchers soon.

The x ventrata started after a while to make more leaves and is now growing its second pitcher.

The sanguinea grows like crazy but somehow the little pitchers look like they are broken off even though there's nothing they could have bumped into.The tips of the leaves do have the nice s-shape when they grow then they are suddenly gone.

The ventricosa 'alba' seems to be a slow grower, it does grow leaves but somehow the little pitchers on the leaves turn slightly brown. I'm unwilling to handle the little pitcherpoints just in case this is normal for the plant and I wouldn't want to break them off.

Is it normal for the sanguinea to grow this fast, and is it normal for the plant that it gets rid of the little pitchers when they don't grow out?
Is it normal for ventricosa to have the little pitchers to go brown or are they just dried up?
Is it normal in general with nepenthes that not every pitcher on a newly formed leaf grows into a mature picher(it seems to skip a few leaves before a new one grows out)

All these plants have the same growing conditions,they are all next to each other.The plants are sprayed several times a day.

Thanks

#2 marcello catalano

marcello catalano
  • Full Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi!
the sanguinea could grow very fast because she's happy or because there's not enough light, hard to say without photos. But the answer to the other questions is "no, it's not normal". every leaf should produce a nice, healthy, colorful pitcher. But of course in cultivation many many times this doesn't happen, because the environment is not good for some reason. You can see how the two very easy and common hybrids, both very tolerant of less humidity, high temperatures and lower light, are growing better than the two (still relatively easy) species. The reasons could be more than one: lack of light, lack of humidity and lack of proper temperatures. If you post one photo that shows all the 4 plants together, it will be much easier for us to see how the leaves of each plant are developing, make comparisons and find where's the problem...

#3 carnivoor

carnivoor
  • Full Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:24 PM

Thank you for the reply, I decided to put the two stragglers under the setup I had for my baby sarrs and VFTs.
They got a nice red colour so I'm assuming it should be better for the neps than where they are now.
If that doesn't make things better I can always try other changes.

#4 carnivoor

carnivoor
  • Full Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Looks like the sanguinea was growing because it was happy, after I gave the plant some fertilizer it is now forming 3 pitchers at once.
The ventricosa is still taking the 'I'm taking my time approach',with this one I'll have to wait I guess.