• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan F.

Jonathan F.
  • Full Members
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants

Posted 29 February 2012 - 16:21 PM

Hi all, I have just got some capillary matting for my cps. But when I retested my water after useing it the water when from 5ppm to 130ppm is this still ok to use?

#2 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:30 PM

Hi Fillthehole

At 130ppm it is on the high side, but I'm wondering if that will drop if you wash or rinse the matting well. I take it the matting is new, it could be just a quirk of the chemicals or washing processes used on the matting in the manufacture before it is put on sale. Try rinsing it and testing again I think you will find that it will drop to lower levels, get it to a stable reading and if that is below 50ppm, IMO it should then be OK.
Just a thought any reason for preferring a matting than a tray?

Cheers
Steve

#3 Jonathan F.

Jonathan F.
  • Full Members
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants

Posted 01 March 2012 - 21:48 PM

Hi Fillthehole

At 130ppm it is on the high side, but I'm wondering if that will drop if you wash or rinse the matting well. I take it the matting is new, it could be just a quirk of the chemicals or washing processes used on the matting in the manufacture before it is put on sale. Try rinsing it and testing again I think you will find that it will drop to lower levels, get it to a stable reading and if that is below 50ppm, IMO it should then be OK.
Just a thought any reason for preferring a matting than a tray?

Cheers
Steve

I was going to use it on all my cps,but not the pitcher plants.

#4 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 14:44 PM

Many manufacturing processes will result in some residue and I very much doubt that the manufactuer of capillary matting uses a deionised water flushing process.