Stephen Morley (gardenofeden) open day 7th July

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:11 PM

After a break of a couple of years (during which I unsuccessfully tried to move house!) I am having an open day this year. Posted Image

It is on Saturday 7th July, 12pm till 5pm.

This is primarliy a CPS open day, but all forum members are welcome too!

• Dianne Salter and Gekon like this

#2 3Star

3Star
  • Full Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Walking, playing guitar, blues and rock music........oh and CP's

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:22 PM

This just happens to be my wife's birthday ...............................................................now I wonder where I could take her for a nice day out ?

#3 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Family; CA`p ; Fishing ; IT ; Movies ; Travel and many others :)

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:30 PM

You mean you opening nursery or i don`t understand something? :)

#4 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:04 PM

This is part of the Carnivorous Plant Society events programme. Members open their collections for a day for other members to come and visit, buy & swap plants, swap growing tips and general chit-chat. It is mainly private gardens and greenhouses, not nurseries, but some of the nurseries do this as well.

#5 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:51 PM

Nice one Stephen, I'll be there with a little plant for you :thumbsup:
Will the legendary lemon cake be there? or is Victoria too busy with 3 children?
ada

#6 davew.1

davew.1
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:my plants and hartlepool united howay the lads

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

After a break of a couple of years (during which I unsuccessfully tried to move house!) I am having an open day this year. Posted Image

It is on Saturday 7th July, 12pm till 5pm.

This is primarliy a CPS open day, but all forum members are welcome too!

pleased you are back i enjoy your day From Dave walker Hartlepool

#7 blueflytrap

blueflytrap
  • Full Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 19:59 PM

Stephen,

One of my favourite open days......Hoping to be there on the day!

Warmest regards

#8 littlephatty

littlephatty
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:CP, Mineralogy, Music, Keyboards, Aesthetic Philology, Literacy, Teaching, Cognitive Therapies, Counselling, Gliding, Caving, Rock Climbing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:26 PM

hoping to be there - been a couple of years out of it for me too...good to get back into the swing of things!! :o)

Leigh

#9 Flytyer

Flytyer
  • Full Members
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy; cacti; photography; reading; fishing; fishkeeping; cage birds and drinking Guinness.

Oh, and carnivorous plants....

Posted 23 April 2012 - 00:09 AM

I'll try to be there too :smile:

No real point in bringing swapsies (unless for other people), a lot of my plants came from you anyway :Laie_98:

#10 Carnivine

Carnivine
  • Full Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Land Rover, Range Rover & carnivorous plants.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:41 PM

what is your address? I can find no detailed listing anywhere for the cps 2012 events. The events listing on the cps website is for LAST YEAR would ou believe. Cheers.

#11 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Sponsor
  • 837 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:41 PM

what is your address? I can find no detailed listing anywhere for the cps 2012 events. The events listing on the cps website is for LAST YEAR would ou believe. Cheers.

Hi.
The old website has become practically unuseable, there is however an all new website in the making due out very soon.
There has been posted a full events diary in the open days and events section of this forum.
Other than that you can contact the host of any advertised open day for details.
Regards Ian.

#12 Peabody

Peabody
  • Full Members
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:I am mostly interested in VFT's but I am having a go at Cephalotus.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 20:56 PM

I am hoping to get along seeing as I live only about 25 miles away - but I need to know an address !

#13 Flytyer

Flytyer
  • Full Members
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy; cacti; photography; reading; fishing; fishkeeping; cage birds and drinking Guinness.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 13:07 PM

One week to go :preved:

Been digging down the sides of the sofa to find money, have now accumulated £1.27p, three washers and a fluffy Werther's Original :banana:

#14 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:02 PM

that should get you a few Drosera capensis at least!

Open Day is still go, cannot promise the weather will be any good though! You may need to bring wellies if it is wet as my soil is heavy clay!:rainingsmile:

Sarracenias are looking good, slightly floppy from lack of sun but what can you do.... VFTs are awful most of them have still not recovered fully from using that Westland insecticide last year!

Cephalotus are OK, not very well coloured though, hoping for better colour in the autumn, Eden Black not looking very dark at all yet, but growing well! Perhaps letting them flower and seed profusely last year has affected it, but probably just the crappy summer!

I will have several Eden Black cuttings for sale at my open day, £75 each.

Victoria has promised me some lemon drizzle cake, so there's something to look forward to at least.

See you all then. If anyone still needs directions please message or email me.

#15 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:07 PM

Lemon drizzle?

Sounds like a medical affliction of older men. :sarcastic_hand:

#16 Flytyer

Flytyer
  • Full Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 21:20 PM

that should get you a few Drosera capensis at least!

Well that's the fluffy Werther's Original spent :Laie_98:

There is one plant I am particularly interested in though :cool:

#17 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:11 PM

How easy / hard would it be to get to the open day via public transport? Is there a near by bus / train station? I would be coming from Manchester and can get to York City Centre via train.

#18 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,337 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 00:07 AM

If you bring plants for him make sure you put GPS on the label so he can find them when he loses them. :sarcastic_hand: (I really need to let this one go now.)

#19 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

How easy / hard would it be to get to the open day via public transport? Is there a near by bus / train station? I would be coming from Manchester and can get to York City Centre via train.

not the easiest, nearest train station is york, but there are 3 or 4 buses a day to Fangfoss from both Stamford bridge and Pocklington which are the nearest 2 towns, both of which are about 5 miles away, and both of which have regular buses from York. we could arrange to pick you up from either of these locations if you can get a bus from York, Stamford bridge preferred, its only a 10min drive
  • 0rmus likes this

#20 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Stephen. Very kind of you to offer a lift from the nearest town. I had a look into the buses and getting to Stamford bridge from York train station. It’s as simple as jumping on the number 10 bus outside the station.

As much as I would like to attend the open day I’ve found out I may have to work that day. To ensure I don’t muck anyone about with lifts and such I’ll just say I won’t be attending this time round. Pretty gutted as i was hoping to 'see how its done'. Sure i could have learned a lot being a newbie.

Edited by 0rmus, 02 July 2012 - 16:57 PM.