- - - - -

Water from Brita filters

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Family; CA`p ; Fishing ; IT ; Movies ; Travel and many others :)

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:04 PM

Hello everybody,

I started to put water to my CAp from Brita filter, like this couple months ago. But now i get answer from Russian forum, thats really bed. What you think?

#2 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:54 PM

Hello everybody,

I started to put water to my CAp from Brita filter, like this couple months ago. But now i get answer from Russian forum, thats really bed. What you think?

Ive been using it for over a year, my plants are still completely fine =D i am saving up for a water butt though =P

#3 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:55 PM

You use Brita filter as well like i understand, thats correct?

#4 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:04 PM

Ive been using it for over a year, my plants are still completely fine =D i am saving up for a water butt though =P

Hmm, not sure what the water in Staffordshire is like, but I wouldn't recommend it. Get yourself a TDS meter (a well know auction site usually has them) and test the water. A reading under about 50-100 is OK. I seem to remember my rainwater is about 75 while RO water is under 5. BTW TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. Of course there may be other chemicals in Brita water that aren't good either :negative:

Best of luck.

#5 Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:19 PM

Hmm, not sure what the water in Staffordshire is like, but I wouldn't recommend it. Get yourself a TDS meter (a well know auction site usually has them) and test the water. A reading under about 50-100 is OK. I seem to remember my rainwater is about 75 while RO water is under 5. BTW TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. Of course there may be other chemicals in Brita water that aren't good either :negative:

Best of luck.

A Brita filter will remove chemicals from water and not add them. But it will not remove the TDS as stated. D.Capensis is more sensitive to chlorine than it is to slightly higher TDS, so it will have a positive effect. Of course rain water or Reverse Osmosis water is preferred. If you re-pot regularly most Tap water will be OK especially if passed through a Brita filter to reduce chemical load.

#6 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:28 PM

Hi, thx for answers. But i still not understand till end, or water from Brita filter can kill my plants or no? I use this water to : Drosera, VFT,Saracenia,Nepenthes,Pygmy droseras, pinguicela as well.
Becouse like Reverse Osmosis filter cost lot of money (i don`t have it now :( ) . Rain water, you know not allways you can get it, thats a problem.
''If you re-pot regularly'' you mean re pot my plants? Or filter cartridges?

#7 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:49 PM

I would contact your water supplier and ask if your tap water is hard or soft. If soft then I would risk using tap water with the plants you mentioned after its been through the Brita filter, but thats just me. I would place a sizable bet that your VFT will be OK but not sure about the other plants as I dont grow them. If the water is hard water then maybe it would be wise to test some that has been through the Brita filter before use. If you do test the water before and after going through the Brita filter I would be interested in the results

#8 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:05 PM

I found this info when i put my post code,it`s not right place where i live, but this website show me this info Water info. , what you think about that?

Are you all use only rain water and reverse osmosis? Or what you use ?

#9 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:41 PM

I found this info when i put my post code,it`s not right place where i live, but this website show me this info Water info. , what you think about that?

TDS would be approximately 95ppm, based on the conductivity. It's generally accepted that at TDS <100ppm is acceptable for CP, so after removing other chemicals through a Brita you might be OK. Brita filters can work out quite expensive over time though.

http://tinyurl.com/7vkght4

Metaldehyde mean: 0.0118

Slug poison :wink:

#10 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 21:14 PM

TDS would be approximately 95ppm, based on the conductivity. It's generally accepted that at TDS <100ppm is acceptable for CP, so after removing other chemicals through a Brita you might be OK. Brita filters can work out quite expensive over time though.

Not problem with Brita filter prices, because we always drinking only water after Brita, and buying in big boxes filter cartridges :) If you say it`s ok, that`s very good news.

Metaldehyde mean: 0.0118
Slug poison :wink:

Are this very bad? How to defeat him? Or it`s dangerous to my plants? :)

Edited by Tarek, 22 February 2012 - 21:15 PM.

#11 Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 21:16 PM

Putting your water through Brita filter will be better than not doing so. It much depends on the quality of your local water. You must try to get it tested. Most plants can take relatively hard water for a short while, but the plant will have to be re-potted regularly (Once a year) if water is hard. It is difficult to say for sure without a test of your water. I use Reverse Osmosis water sometimes, but mostly Tap water that has had the chlorine and other chemicals removed by a Carbon Block filter. But the local water here is very good. Only 60 PPM dissolved solids. If you phone our local water department, they can tell you what the PPM of your water is.

#12 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 21:36 PM

Or it`s dangerous to my plants? :)

I doubt it. I was just highlighting the fact that man-made pesticides get into our drinking water.

#13 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 21:42 PM

buy a TDS meter and test your water, that's the only way to know. they are not expensive.

most people use rain water, collected via a water butt off the hous or greenhouse roof, with reverse osmosis for backup in dry summers.

Edited by gardenofeden, 22 February 2012 - 21:43 PM.

#14 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:16 PM

Are you all use only rain water and reverse osmosis? Or what you use ?

Yes yorkshire has proper water from reservoirs not the used dish water that southerners have to drink. I used to live in Reading the water there was repulsive it would make me feel sick if I drunk it neat.
Funnily enough when I was working there (teacher) we took the kids up to Snowdonia camping and they had to drink spring water out of the mountain. They hated it, prefered the Reading water. Amazing what you get used to if youve drunk it all your life.

#15 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:21 PM

Putting your water through Brita filter will be better than not doing so. It much depends on the quality of your local water. You must try to get it tested. Most plants can take relatively hard water for a short while, but the plant will have to be re-potted regularly (Once a year) if water is hard. It is difficult to say for sure without a test of your water. I use Reverse Osmosis water sometimes, but mostly Tap water that has had the chlorine and other chemicals removed by a Carbon Block filter. But the local water here is very good. Only 60 PPM dissolved solids. If you phone our local water department, they can tell you what the PPM of your water is.

Re-poted once per year it`s not a problem i think, but anyway please have look at water results, from supplier, it`s not right my area, but when i put my address i get this one:
http://www.yorkshire...-1.784703&tab=2

Yes yorkshire has proper water from reservoirs not the used dish water that southerners have to drink. I used to live in Reading the water there was repulsive it would make me feel sick if I drunk it neat.
Funnily enough when I was working there (teacher) we took the kids up to Snowdonia camping and they had to drink spring water out of the mountain. They hated it, prefered the Reading water. Amazing what you get used to if youve drunk it all your life.

It`s good news, that is not bad water. I be in Reading some long time ago, about 5years, yes it`s not good taste water. Yes, when you used to drink it a while, after that you just don`t feel or taste anything bad.

I doubt it. I was just highlighting the fact that man-made pesticides get into our drinking water.

But how it can be? :D it`s ridiculous for supplier, to give water like this to us, peoples :girl_devil: .

buy a TDS meter and test your water, that's the only way to know. they are not expensive.

most people use rain water, collected via a water butt off the hous or greenhouse roof, with reverse osmosis for backup in dry summers.

Yes, i will do it definitely . How do you think, This one will be alright?

,,most people use rain water, collected via a water butt off the hous or greenhouse roof, with reverse osmosis for backup in dry summers'' you mean this rain water pipe from roof? just put something to collect water from there? And after that still need to put water to reverse osmosis filter,yes?

Edited by Tarek, 22 February 2012 - 22:24 PM.

#16 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:27 PM

you mean this rain water pipe from roof? just put something to collect water from there? And after that still need to put water to reverse osmosis filter,yes?

yes from a roof, no need to treat, just use as is.
test your tap water first, if it is soft it may be Ok though, I used to use tap water in Scotland as it was very soft.

#17 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:32 PM

Wow! after reading this i decided to have a look at the quality of my local water on south staffs website.....im shocked its roughly 200ppm i will definitely be reconsidering my watering, thanks for this post guys you've probably saved my plants...

#18 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:36 PM

You use Brita filter as well like i understand, thats correct?

Yeah still using a Brita filter for now but will be buying a water butt in spring hopefully =)

#19 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:41 PM

yes from a roof, no need to treat, just use as is.
test your tap water first, if it is soft it may be Ok though, I used to use tap water in Scotland as it was very soft.

Alright, now gonna order this meter and test everything, this what i show you is be alright? Like understand not more 100is alright.

Yeah still using a Brita filter for now but will be buying a water butt in spring hopefully =)

Good idea, maybe we will do the same, it`s be helpful.

#20 Madball

Madball
  • Full Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 23:04 PM

Well I dont have alot of plants yet ( Just started ) and just bought a water butt yesterday because it's the cheapest way and easiest way I can find. On the dutch cp forum they don't recommend tap water at all because it's prob pretty bad here so yea other option was buying deminiralized water but 50cents for a litre does hurt you're wallet also pretty bad :negative: Tip if you don't have alot of room these are nice and high instead of wide and it's 100L :thumbsup: They sell them here in about every garden centre in the NL

Posted Image

PS: you can get a extra part with it for in the rainpipe so the butt doesn't overflow ;)

Edited by Madball, 22 February 2012 - 23:05 PM.