Getting rid of algae in standing water

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:11 PM

So when I used to cultivate CPs a few years ago, I had a problem with algae gumming up the water. I mentioned it on here, and one member very kindly sent me some of this water plant which floated on the water and somehow meant no algae could grow. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it sounded similar to "Salvia" I think (except obviously it wasn't actually Salvia!).

Does anyone else use this stuff/know what its called? Even better, does anyone know where I might be able to get some?

I hope I've posted this in the right place, mods!

Cheers!

#2 Markus Berg

Markus Berg
  • Full Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 16:32 PM

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that the plant you mean is a Salvinia species, this is a sort of floating fern. Especially Salvinia natans is a easy to grow plant that you should get in most aquarium-supply stores, maybe also in some garden-markets. The plant may help if there are too much nutrients in the water that causes algae to grow, but Salvinia also can easily overgrow other plants, in some countries (like Australia) this is a invasive weed.

Another plant that could be used is Pistia stratiotes (water lettuce). I hope I could help you a bit.

Best Regards

Markus

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 19:51 PM

I have Riccia, which is a common aquarium plant, and U. gibba in a water tray on a bright windowsill and the water never gets algae. I think it's possibly due to these soaking up the nutrients.

#4 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Amazing guys, thank you. I googled Salvinia and that's exactly what they were! As luck would have it, there are some living in a puddle near me which I'll comandeer a sample of soon :)

Cheers!

#5 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 20:04 PM

Amazing guys, thank you. I googled Salvinia and that's exactly what they were! As luck would have it, there are some living in a puddle near me which I'll comandeer a sample of soon :)

Cheers!

really, you sure they are Salvinia growing outside? they are tropicak plants and need a fair temperature to do well.....

#6 johns

johns
  • Full Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 20:14 PM

Not all Salvinia species are tropical. E.g. Salvinia natans is native to much of Europe.

#7 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 20:41 PM

thanks, was not aware

#8 Ordovic

Ordovic
  • Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:This, that and the other.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Can Azolla filiculoides (also a water fern) be used for the same purpose, does anyone know?

#9 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 28 February 2012 - 13:29 PM

Can Azolla filiculoides (also a water fern) be used for the same purpose, does anyone know?

Yes it can, basically anything that covers the surface, excludes light and absorbs nutrients will do the trick, but like duckweed it can get to be a pain in the ass

Cheers
steve

#10 johns

johns
  • Full Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 13:52 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to use Azolla for that purpose. They have a symbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, which is why they are used as a natural fertilizer on rice paddies.

#11 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:40 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to use Azolla for that purpose. They have a symbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, which is why they are used as a natural fertilizer on rice paddies.

Ahhh thanks for that, I was unaware of that.

Cheers
Steve

#12 Ordovic

Ordovic
  • Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:This, that and the other.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Good point.

#13 jb_orchidguy

jb_orchidguy
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Orchids and CPs

Posted 01 March 2012 - 17:38 PM

Yeah azolla is wonderful. I didn't think it would add too much nitrogen, but if folks have experience with it and not good results I may rethink getting more.

#14 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

So it turns out the stuff near me very definitely isn't Salvinia as it has started growing out of the trays...will be looking on the web!

Edited by Billybob, 17 March 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#15 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:55 PM

have you got a pic?

#16 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 19:33 PM

have you got a pic?

Not at the moment unfortunately, I can't find my camera. I'm not really sure what the stuff is, but I've ordered a pack of Salvinia Natans from ebay for £2.50, so that'll be going in the trays now!

#17 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 17 March 2012 - 20:31 PM

I have Riccia, which is a common aquarium plant, and U. gibba in a water tray on a bright windowsill and the water never gets algae. I think it's possibly due to these soaking up the nutrients.

I've been growing U. gibba & Aldrovanda together in a 10 gallong fishtank, outside, on our porch for the past 2 years. There's plent of direct sun and algae has not been an issue. That might be because the U. gibba is so pervasive and possibly I give them plants bog water, which does have snails. Whatever the dynamics, algae hasn't been a problem.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jimscott, 17 March 2012 - 20:41 PM.