- - - - -

Dormacy - Droseras

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Family; CA`p ; Fishing ; IT ; Movies ; Travel and many others :)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:22 PM

Hello everybody!

I hear from few peoples, that in United Kingdom, Drosera plants don`t fall in winter dormacy, but all my drosera plants currently sleeping/rest . How did you can explaine that? Or i don`t understand something :flag_of_truce:
This is a link for all my plants what i have https://picasaweb.go...132694114290545 ; you can see Drosera Capensis, Spathulata, Rutundifolia, Capensis 'alba' , Alicia.

#2 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hello everybody!

I hear from few peoples, that in United Kingdom, Drosera plants don`t fall in winter dormacy, but all my drosera plants currently sleeping/rest . How did you can explaine that? Or i don`t understand something :flag_of_truce:
This is a link for all my plants what i have https://picasaweb.go...132694114290545 ; you can see Drosera Capensis, Spathulata, Rutundifolia, Capensis 'alba' , Alicia.

My Drosera weren't happy, ive lost 2 this year my other one i kept inside cause its still young, definitely won't be putting any of my Drosera outside next year was a hard lesson =P

#3 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

It`s mean that is wrong information that Droseras not go dormancy in United Kingdom :-) .

#4 Sebulon

Sebulon
  • Full Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 21 February 2012 - 14:09 PM

Drosera capensis and Drosera aliciae are from South Africa, not from the UK. Drosera spatulata has many forms, but most of them are from tropical Asia to my knowledge. All of them grow all year-around in their natural habitats, so they don't have a cold dormancy.

What happened to your plants, is that they died back because of the cold weather. If you had kept them for example in a terrarium (inside), they would not have died back like that. They would've kept growing.

But instead of totally dying, the D. capensis in the photo returned from it's roots, because it didn't freeze completely. So I can assume the weather didn't go under 0 celsius degrees. You can now only hope that the other plants have also survived the weather, and will return from roots. You should bring them inside or put them in a warm greenhouse to ensure that.

#5 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:03 PM

Drosera capensis and Drosera aliciae are from South Africa, not from the UK. Drosera spatulata has many forms, but most of them are from tropical Asia to my knowledge. All of them grow all year-around in their natural habitats, so they don't have a cold dormancy.

What happened to your plants, is that they died back because of the cold weather. If you had kept them for example in a terrarium (inside), they would not have died back like that. They would've kept growing.

But instead of totally dying, the D. capensis in the photo returned from it's roots, because it didn't freeze completely. So I can assume the weather didn't go under 0 celsius degrees. You can now only hope that the other plants have also survived the weather, and will return from roots. You should bring them inside or put them in a warm greenhouse to ensure that.

Hello, i know from with places are that plants, i just say that they go to dormancy in UK :) . You see, my plants are inside on windows sil, and room temperature always between 18-20 C . It`s cannot be for cold weather, i think is because winter time day light / day time shorter thats way plants go to dormancy . Are i`am right?

#6 Sebulon

Sebulon
  • Full Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:56 PM

Hello, i know from with places are that plants, i just say that they go to dormancy in UK :) . You see, my plants are inside on windows sil, and room temperature always between 18-20 C . It`s cannot be for cold weather, i think is because winter time day light / day time shorter thats way plants go to dormancy . Are i`am right?

Did you forget to water them? Those plants don't have dormancy, they won't do something like that unless something has gone wrong.

#7 Marlon

Marlon
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 16:09 PM

Sebulon is right a D.Capensis shouldn't go in dormancy. I grow mine also in the window sill, it growed slower because there are less light hours, but it didn't go in dormancy at all.

Greetings, Marlon

#8 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 16:17 PM

Did you forget to water them? Those plants don't have dormancy, they won't do something like that unless something has gone wrong.

Very strange :tommy: , i always put watter . I don`t know what happened, but all my droseras are in sleep now event pygmy Lake Badgerup. Strange very strange.

#9 Hermes

Hermes
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 18:32 PM

Some drosera go into dormancy, some don't. It depends. Temperate sundews like rotundifolia go into dormancy in the winter. Capensis and capillaris are tropicals and don't have a dormancy period.

#10 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 23:04 PM

Some drosera go into dormancy, some don't. It depends. Temperate sundews like rotundifolia go into dormancy in the winter. Capensis and capillaris are tropicals and don't have a dormancy period.

But my Drosera Capensis plants died in winter...go to dormancy, but now grow back :) :rainingsmile:

#11 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

While the term "tropical" is used to describe sundews like capensis, I think this tends to be a bit misleading. It actually gets pretty chilly at the Cape in South Africa in the winter - close to, if not under, freezing point - and as far as I know the plants do go through a die-back in the wild during the coldest period. A lot of so-called tropicals grow in areas that have more temperate climates, or at the very least have cooler nights.

Having said that, if your capensis died back in the winter months and you were keeping it indoors at 18 - 20 C and well-watered, then as you say day-length must have been the deciding factor. I don't know if that's terribly common though ...

Here in Taipei the winters rarely get down below 10 C and daylight hours aren't quite as markedly reduced as in the UK, and this is quite a happy time for my D. capensis. The time they really hate is the summer, when high temperatures - day and night - result in extreme die-back, and sometimes outright death.

#12 Guest_carniplatns_*

Guest_carniplatns_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 20:15 PM

Off topic, your little helis are fantastic!

Enjoyng