2 replies to this topic

#1 ceadi

ceadi
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, finnish baseball, praying mantises, nature

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hello,
I'm beginner with heliamphora, and I would like to know about lightning them. I use fluorescent bulbs, an I would like to know what would be good for heliamphoras, like how far them should be from plants and everything else.
And sorry for my bad english.

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,392 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

The quantity and distance of the lamps will be largely dependant on your particular setup. Light levels drop off significantly over distance (inverse quare law), so if you double the distance between the plant and the lights then you quarter the light level available to them. Heliamphora like high light levels, but not high temperatures, so in order to achieve this you need to either efficiently remove the heat from the lamp - so that you can have the lamps close to the plants, or move the lamps away, but then you will need more of them in order to compensate for the loss in light level.

You also need to consider the fluorescent lamp type you use, as many will produce a large proportion of their output as green light, which is of little use to the plant. In order to compensate for the waste you need more lamps. Alternatively, you could use lamps that produce much of their output in the useful photosynthesis band, which will produce more light that the plants can use and thus you have to compensate less for wasted light.

#3 ceadi

ceadi
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, finnish baseball, praying mantises, nature

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, how much lightning H. hispida, minor and pulchella would need when light source is 30cm(12in) away from them? And cooling them is no problem. Glad if someone answers.

Edited by ceadi, 15 February 2012 - 13:07 PM.