• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Deadly Weapon

Deadly Weapon
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Plants, art, movies and culture

Posted 19 February 2012 - 13:51 PM

That's a nice pot of U. renofrmis! Hopefully mine will look like that someday. :wub:

#22 Sebulon

Sebulon
  • Full Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:42 PM

Thanks for the photos Deadly Weapon and Mobile.

@Deadly Weapon, those pictures look similar to my plant when it was still in the sphagnum slurry mix. The leaves are on long twining scapes, and tend to fall over. It grew fast, but it didn't look so healthy. But maybe I judged it too fast.

That U. alpina looks like it's grown too wet or too warm. Looks like the flowerscape has rotten from the base. I might be wrong, but the colouration doesn't look normal. At least from the photo.

@Mobile, your plant looks stunning! Is it pure sphagnum, or some sort of a mixture? How high is the waterlevel?

#23 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,275 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:06 PM

@Mobile, your plant looks stunning! Is it pure sphagnum, or some sort of a mixture? How high is the waterlevel?

It's a mix. I don't recall the exact ingredients but I know that there is at least dried Sphagnum moss and cypress mulch in it. The water level is only ever a couple of cm and sometime I simply top water.

#24 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:34 PM

i'll throw a couple of orchidoides into the fray:

U. jamesoniana, taking its sweet time---it's been two/three months already!
Posted Image

U. campbelliana, "taking off" for me....at a glacial pace. Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:36 PM

U. campbelliana, "taking off" for me....at a glacial pace. Posted Image
Posted Image

What's this growing on?

#26 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:45 PM

@mobile: cork bark + aquarium filter sponges cut up into cubes + sheet moss + loofah to tie it all together.

i figured the sponges would be an excellent media since they are resistant to degradation and compaction. i also specifically chose a filter that had a relatively large but fine cell size to avoid similar complications that happen from using epiweb. the sponge media i use is not too different from this: http://www.fishtankp...kpet_sponge.jpg

the sponge media is also capable of holding small amounts of water which would prevent the plant from being dessicated, and excessive water just drips off to prevent rot. xaxim holds either too little water or too much water in my grow area, with very little consistency making it unfavorable for me to use as a growing medium.

Edited by amphirion, 19 February 2012 - 21:48 PM.

#27 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:53 PM

@mobile: cork bark + aquarium filter sponges cut up into cubes + sheet moss + loofah to tie it all together.

i figured the sponges would be an excellent media since they are resistant to degradation and compaction. i also specifically chose a filter that had a relatively large but fine cell size to avoid similar complications that happen from using epiweb. the sponge media i use is not too different from this: http://www.fishtankp...kpet_sponge.jpg

the sponge media is also capable of holding small amounts of water which would prevent the plant from being dessicated, and excessive water just drips off to prevent rot. xaxim holds either too little water or too much water in my grow area, with very little consistency making it unfavorable for me to use as a growing medium.

hmmm... interesting. Any chance of an overall picture so I could try to figure it out?

#28 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 22:15 PM

@mobile: hope this helps.

Posted Image

#29 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

@mobile: hope this helps.

Perfect, thank you.