Photo
- - - - -

First growth

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 11 February 2012 - 15:49 PM

I noticed on a couple of flavas and hybrids today that they have flowers coming. Nice and early, especially compared to last year, when my first growth was at end of March. I am very pleased; our new(ish) greenhouse keeps them well protected, and I've had no deaths this winter, unlike last year. The weather is still mild here, and we haven't even had a hard frost since December, let alone snow!

One of the flavas:
Posted Image
S. flava first flower bud by JimbO'Neill, on Flickr

Some plants are still looking good..

Posted Image
S. leucophylla 'tarnok' by JimbO'Neill, on Flickr

Posted Image
S. leucophylla by JimbO'Neill, on Flickr

Posted Image
S. alata red throat by JimbO'Neill, on Flickr

Still to get staging in the ghouse but should be within the next week or two.

#2 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Not likely to get much growth here soon as it was -7C the other night. I guess mid-March would be about right.

#3 smudge

smudge
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I do stuff to plants for money, likes chocolate, cats, Gardening, birds, insects, photography, Cheese & Jam sandwiches.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Neil, your plants look well.

I've had a -8.8 here last Friday night, followed by a -6.5 Saturday night.

Its currently a balmy +5.0, so i've opened the greenhouse door for a couple of hours to let some fresh air in.

I have a new posh indoor/outdoor digital Max/Min Thermometer which appears to be very precise.

#4 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 12 February 2012 - 15:27 PM

Neil, your plants look well.

I've had a -8.8 here last Friday night, followed by a -6.5 Saturday night.

Its currently a balmy +5.0, so i've opened the greenhouse door for a couple of hours to let some fresh air in.

I have a new posh indoor/outdoor digital Max/Min Thermometer which appears to be very precise.

Neil? I'm James :sarcastic_hand:

It hasn't gone below 2 or 3 at nights recently, and the days are mild enough.

The more I look in the greenhouse, I see more flowers coming, mostly flavas, but also a leuco.

#5 djh

djh
  • Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants. football. Golf and landrovers

Posted 12 February 2012 - 16:46 PM

I.ve been in the greenhouse today just finishing off dividing the last two sarrs and i also noticed about 12 flowers just starting to show mostly all flavas. happy days. :Laie_96:. As james said they are alot early then last year after that very hard winter that we had. just seen the forecast for this week and its getting alot milder so should see more flowers starting to come up.

#6 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

No flowers here, but everything is looking healthy. A far cry from this time last year!

#7 smudge

smudge
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I do stuff to plants for money, likes chocolate, cats, Gardening, birds, insects, photography, Cheese & Jam sandwiches.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 18:39 PM

Neil? I'm James :sarcastic_hand:

It hasn't gone below 2 or 3 at nights recently, and the days are mild enough.

The more I look in the greenhouse, I see more flowers coming, mostly flavas, but also a leuco.

Oh Gawd... i'm sorry.

I shoulda looked for my Reading Glasses when posting, sorry.

But your plants still look splendid. :flag_of_truce:

#8 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 18:51 PM

James's observations made me take another look, and I do have a one flava with a flower bud. So maybe spring will come sooner than I first thought. And nothing's died so far :thumright:

#9 alexa

alexa
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:20 PM

I've not even begun to start dividing up the plants yet. Frankly, its far, far too cold. Must get out there this weekend and see what I can do. I've not seen any new growth yet.

Alex.

#10 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 00:51 AM

As well as many flowers having made an appearance, I have spotted the first pitchers coming up on a flava and the oreos.

#11 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 20:56 PM

Looking very nice Neill :sarcastic_hand:
Looking nice, very lucky to have those so early!
Going to look round mine soon, need to see :)
Thanks,
Dan

#12 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 17:30 PM

Anyone else noticed that their darlingtonia hasn't really stopped growing over winter? This particular plant is in the corner of the greenhouse.

#13 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 19:07 PM

My darly definitely stopped.

Seeing more and more flowers and new pitchers now, and with a bit of sunshine and heat today, they sould soon be well on their way.

#14 djh

djh
  • Full Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 19:24 PM

iv,e noticed that my darlingtonia hasn't stopped growing over the winter time, also mine as started to send up two flowers already. as for sarrs i,ve found about 6 more comeing this morning. also as james as said iv,e started to see pitchers starting to show up.it looking as it,s going to be a great year. we hope. :sun_bespectacled:

#15 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 19 February 2012 - 00:06 AM

Anyone else noticed that their darlingtonia hasn't really stopped growing over winter? This particular plant is in the corner of the greenhouse.

I have 2 ones quite mature, and in my conservatory which gets pretty cold, the others a baby sharing a pot with a sundew and outside, bad idea on the sundews behalf but neither of my Cobra lilys have stopped growing this year, and my Purps have been growing new pitchers for the last week or so noticed some pretty big ones already, theyre outside too but it just shows how much of a mild winter its been, ive had to battle fungus a lot this year too cause of it

#16 djh

djh
  • Full Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 15:31 PM

Well what a shocker this morning been in the greenhouse and i,ve now counted about 52 flowers showing there faces this as to be some record. Also some of my sundrews are evern wakeing up. spring is here for shore. :sun_bespectacled: