- - - - -

Winter Losses

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:55 PM

Despite the mild winter- well until last week plant losses continue to grow! :(
N. dubia, N. inermis,N. spectabilis, N. “thorelii” x trusmadiensis,H. pulchella (Amuri). And others stressed.
Found my big old 10 years H. neblinae (Cerro Neblina)reduced from this-

Posted Image

Posted Image

to this!

Posted Image

Rather put off going into the greenhouses at the moment!!

bill

Edited by flycatchers, 03 March 2012 - 20:48 PM.

#2 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,844 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:24 PM

Winter sure is a depressing time for nep growing. Sorry to hear of those losses. Came back from a trip last week to find a panel had blown out of the greenhouse for the second time, had most of my heating bill for this year in the space of 4 or 5 days and my copelandii might have been frozen (it was in the corner that got exposed to the outside sub zero temps).

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:32 PM

Sorry to read about your losses Bill. That H. neblinae was a splendid plant too. I've never been tempted to grow temperature sensitive plants in a greenhouse, as I'd be gutted if I lost them to the cold weather. Plus the cost of heating and the risk of the heating failing.

#4 djh

djh
  • Full Members
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants. football. Golf and landrovers

Posted 05 February 2012 - 18:15 PM

Very sorry to hear about your losses bill.
fingers crossed i haven't had any losses. :eek:

#5 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 16:33 PM

A couple more to add to the list :(

H. exappendicaulata (Chimanta) & H. hispida (Cerro Neblina). And a few more weeks for others to appear!!

bill

#6 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 18 February 2012 - 19:08 PM

That's some loss list. What is responsible for their deaths?

#7 alexa

alexa
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 19:24 PM

Like the above, sorry to hear of the losses Bill, a sad tale indeed. So far, tpuc wood, I've been quite lucky and have lost only a amall number of plants this year.

Alex

#8 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, must be gutting to put all that work in.
I hope that there's nothing else to add to that list!

#9 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:19 PM

Thanks for your kind words.
I did find one piece of the H. neblinae that had not shrivelled or gone limp when I took the plant apart. It even had its own bit of rhizome and a few roots. But less than 24 hours after repotting it- found the plant all limp like the others! And despite cutting off the brown section of the rhizome which had appeared so quickly and them repotting it again and where it had actualy started to grow. Today more brown had spread up from the now totally dead rhizome. :( So the disease or whatever caused the plants demise was still lurking in its system! I am particulary sad as the plant had been a very robust almost woody growth and for me a fast grower.
I think Jim that certainly in the case of the Neps it is just the continued low light/cool temps of winter that stress some plants out and push them over the edge! I always look at January & Feb as being my "dead" months where plants suddenly keel over. If they get to March they are usually ok. In the Heli there does seem to be a sort of disease that is lurking in all the plants where again stress (usually caused by heat) can cause them to suddenly collapse and die. When I went to Kew last summer they had a lot of their plants suffering from that.

Of the Neps all are now cuttings with hopefully some positive signs but like the Heli you cannot ever really tell for a month or more.

Here is a photo I took of my very young H. pulchella in January.

Posted Image

Two days after I took that photo all the growth at the rear shrivelled up. The main growing point remained healthy looking till 2 days ago. It now looks like this-

Posted Image

The roots are still healthy looking but rather like the neblinae the rhizome has gone brown and dead. The plant had been kept damp but not particulary wet over the winter. Again I can only guess that this diease struck this plant as well.

bill

Edited by flycatchers, 24 February 2012 - 21:08 PM.

#10 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:39 PM

only 1 loss so far, Brocchinia reducta, oviously needs more than 5C minimum....

#11 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,844 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 03 March 2012 - 19:23 PM

My big old copellandii which was in the corner of the greehouse that blew out seems to be a be goner :( , i have a few cuttings though so not a complete loss.