How to get higher temperature in my terrarium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ppeeppiinnoo

ppeeppiinnoo
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 20:50 PM

Hello, everyone! I am very, very new in this hobby. Sorry for the bad english too.
I want to germinate seeds from Nepenthes (lowlanders) and Dionaea. I have read many topics, about seed germination, and I have also read for the temperatures needed for good development of the seeds and seedlings. But I have a problem: The temperature in my terrarium (old aquarium) is 24 degrees Celsius, which is low temperature for lowland Nepenthes. I want to ask, how I can get higher temperature, without heating all my room up? With some special lights? Or with something else? Thanks. :Laie_71mini:

#2 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:03 PM

Heat pad's made for humans work great when placed under the aquarium. Usually you can find some with low, medium, and high settings.
  • ppeeppiinnoo likes this

#3 ppeeppiinnoo

ppeeppiinnoo
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:08 PM

Thanks for the fast answer. I wonder, if I can buy some special lightning bulbs to get higher temperatures?

#4 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:28 PM

You can buy ceramic heat emitters for reptiles that produce no light. These use a lot more energy than heat pads though, and if the lamp your using tips over can easily cause a fire.

#5 Greg Allan

Greg Allan
  • Full Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:34 PM

You can keep a several cm of water in the bottom of your tank and place an aquarium heater in the water. I use this method in conjunction with a small heat mat to provide very humid lowland conditions in a large tank. This method provides sufficiently warm conditions for Neps such as bicalcarata, ampullaria and albomarginata, petiolaris complex Drosera and tropical annual Byblis.

Greg

#6 ppeeppiinnoo

ppeeppiinnoo
  • Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:45 PM

I have an aquarium heater, I can try with it. Thank you.