- - - - -

Nepenthes villsoa seed germination

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 03 February 2012 - 19:24 PM

Does anyone here know the ballpark range for Nepenthes villosa seeds germination time? I sowed them on topr of mixed silica sand and milled newzealand sphagnum moss on 11-28-11. nothing yet :whistling:

#2 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 22:00 PM

I have had Nepenthes villosa seed germinate in the course of four weeks; although, some in the pot and in the TC vials took upwards of four months. I had one pot of N. macrophylla take upwards of ten . . .

#3 Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies
  • Full Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Same here, I bought some villosa seed from Best CPs, got the first couple up within about 3 weeks, but I got occasional germination for about 4 months.
Of course, there's no guarantee that these were genuine villosa. I'll let you know in about 5 years.

#4 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Good. that's kinda what I wanted to hear. I do have before and waiting for the after pictures as we speak. I will keep you all updated to future progress of the germination. Just so you all know I added myco grow to the top substrate from www.fungiperfecti.com. No, I am not saying that the beneficial bacterial, Plus the worlds natural www. com is actually mycellium networks running from one grassland to older future stands of grown woods and so on etc... Will it actually benefit the germination of the seeds? Either way keep a watch, & I will post as progress is made.
Clayton

Edited by bodaciousbonsai, 04 February 2012 - 15:23 PM.

#5 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 16:33 PM

Good. that's kinda what I wanted to hear. I do have before and waiting for the after pictures as we speak. I will keep you all updated to future progress of the germination. Just so you all know I added myco grow to the top substrate from www.fungiperfecti.com. No, I am not saying that the beneficial bacterial, Plus the worlds natural www. com is actually mycellium networks running from one grassland to older future stands of grown woods and so on etc... Will it actually benefit the germination of the seeds? Either way keep a watch, & I will post as progress is made.
Clayton

Clayton,

Interesting method -- the addition of "myco," though don't know precisely what that is. I generally add Trichoderma to my preferred seed media (2:1 or 1:1 Sphagnum peat to quartz sand); and I haven't had fungal issues (damping-off, etc) with seed batches for years . . .

#6 Defalotus

Defalotus
  • Full Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:34 PM

Myco is short for mycorrhizae. Its a beneficial fungus to a lot of, but not all, plants. Maybe the mycelium will colonize the media and keep anything bad growing but as I understand it myco needs growing roots to be effective.

#7 sativ

sativ
  • Full Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:51 PM

Hello ;)

2,5 months after sowing:
Posted Image

5 months after sowing:
Posted Image

Now- ~9 months from sowing:
Posted Image

Their growths was painfully slow at the beggining, and they wer standing in one place for ~2 months after repotting.

Key-factors:
-not wet, but very humid. Most important one. Wetting the crowns will cause death.
-big, deep pot, managing moist but not wet airy soil

Mine temperature ranges weren't perfect for them- 25* day 15* night, but now- with frosts- temperature in my growroom decreased, and i observe really explosion. [this word with villosa is not perfect- but comparing to their normal growth...;)]

I lost only 2 seedlings- after repotting, rest of them are very healthy. It's very exciting to watch them, looking for natural hybrids inside ;);)
I just have to say, that i also got some seeds from BCP, none of them germinated [maby YET?- 8? months ;)]

Good luck!

Witek

#8 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 18:20 PM

Myco is short for mycorrhizae. Its a beneficial fungus to a lot of, but not all, plants. Maybe the mycelium will colonize the media and keep anything bad growing but as I understand it myco needs growing roots to be effective.

the package says it contains the following fungi.Glomus intraradices, G. mosseae,G. aggregatum, G. etunicatum(13 prop/gm each), G. deserticola, G. monosporum, G. clarum, G brasillianum and Giggaspora margarita(2.5 prop/gmeach) Rhizopogon villosullus, R luteuolus, R. amylopogon, R fulvigleba, (208,750 prop/gm each), Pisolithus tinctorius(1,252,000 prop/gm each), Sillus granulatas and S. punctatapies(260,930 prop/gm each), Laccaria bicolor and L. laccata (83,500 propr/gm each), Scleroderma cepa, S. citrinum(417,500 prop gm each) Bacillus licheniformis, B. azotoformans, B. megaterium, B. coagulans, B. pumilis, B. tthurengiensis, B. stearothermiphilis, Paenibacillus polymyxa, P. godonae, P. durum, Azotobacter polymyxa, A. chroococcum, Sacchromyces cervisiae, Pseudodomonas aureofaceans, P. florescence, Deinococcus erythromyxa (820,000cfu/gm each), and finally Trichoderma konigii and T. harzianum (330,000 cfi/gm each). As with any fine particle , Always wear a dust filter mask when working with this product.
Holy smokes what a pain in the ass! :blink: I also added this mixture with distlled water and applied it to my Cephalotus follicularis, germen Giant, hummer Giant, and vigorous I will kepp updated photos of the before and after effects.

Edited by bodaciousbonsai, 05 February 2012 - 18:29 PM.

#9 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 18:22 PM

Hello ;)

2,5 months after sowing:
Posted Image

5 months after sowing:
Posted Image

Now- ~9 months from sowing:
Posted Image

Their growths was painfully slow at the beggining, and they wer standing in one place for ~2 months after repotting.

Key-factors:
-not wet, but very humid. Most important one. Wetting the crowns will cause death.
-big, deep pot, managing moist but not wet airy soil

Mine temperature ranges weren't perfect for them- 25* day 15* night, but now- with frosts- temperature in my growroom decreased, and i observe really explosion. [this word with villosa is not perfect- but comparing to their normal growth...;)]

I lost only 2 seedlings- after repotting, rest of them are very healthy. It's very exciting to watch them, looking for natural hybrids inside ;);)
I just have to say, that i also got some seeds from BCP, none of them germinated [maby YET?- 8? months ;)]

Good luck!

Witek

Wow sweet thank you for the pictures and timelines, I would of thrown them in the garbage after a couple months

#10 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 19:00 PM

I have sown mine early November, and had nothing for ages. Along with the villosa seeds I also sowed several other species, none of which germinated. All pots began to sprout sphagnum, to the point that all seeds were totally overgrown. I left it for a while, as weeding all those pots was quite a job. I eventually got around to do it, and within a week, half of the seedlings started germinating including N. villosa. I have read before that placing nepenthes seeds in darkness for a few days triggers germination, as it simulates them being overgrown by other plants in the wild. Obviously I don't know for sure, it could have been just the right time (2.5 months) for germination, but I did wonder why so many germinated so suddenly. Maybe worth a try if nothing happens.

#11 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:59 PM

I have sown mine early November, and had nothing for ages. Along with the villosa seeds I also sowed several other species, none of which germinated. All pots began to sprout sphagnum, to the point that all seeds were totally overgrown. I left it for a while, as weeding all those pots was quite a job. I eventually got around to do it, and within a week, half of the seedlings started germinating including N. villosa. I have read before that placing nepenthes seeds in darkness for a few days triggers germination, as it simulates them being overgrown by other plants in the wild. Obviously I don't know for sure, it could have been just the right time (2.5 months) for germination, but I did wonder why so many germinated so suddenly. Maybe worth a try if nothing happens.

Thank you for that tip. I will definitely keep that mind, I believe fungi has some sort of function with all living plants. But when we as humans go cutting down wide swaths of rainforests etc.. you are actually breaking the chain connection that they all share. Before we exactly know what fungi's role in nature plays with all living plants it will be way to late to make corrections to the damage that has been done. :suicide_fool-edit:

#12 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 00:35 AM

I am quite familiar with mycorrhizal associations but had assumed that you were speaking of some proprietary brand; and the Trichoderma also serves that same purpose -- to protect plants from pathogenic fungi . . .

#13 lance

lance
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

Bump... just wanted to let y'all know that the same batch of villosa seeds I got ( from ebay... same as yours) are now swelling in TC. No signs of green yet, but hopefully there will be more to show of it ;).

Good luck with yours!
- Lance