Sarracenia seedlings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Here are some sarracenia seedlings that are less than a year old. The seed was stratified for about 6 weeks in the fridge and sown around last April. As I thought it was a little late to germinate seed I put the seed trays in a heated propagator on a sunny windowsill. Although one set of seeds didn't germinate that well both produced seedlings. Earlier this month I transplanted the 2 SX33 x SFR02 seedlings into 3" pots and replaced them in the propagator (not heated over winter, but still in same place). Suddenly they seem to have put on a growth spurt. Why is this? Is it the result of the transplanting?

Posted Image
Posted Image
SX33 x SFR02 seedlings in 3" pots. Not showing much of either parent yet.

The seedlings in the seed tray however have not shown any increased growth (though I think they're still a pretty good size for 1 year old).

Posted Image
Posted Image
SX33 x SFO09 seedlings in seed tray. Some show influence of ornata with nice veining. I'm hoping the red rim will remain and develop further.

I've now removed some of these seedlings to pots to see if they show the same growth effect. I'll keep you posted with developments.

Regards,

#2 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:56 PM

Its well documented that sarra's when small can skip dormancy.They will continue to grow indoors,although slower.repotting always gives seedlings a boost.There is something they get from fresh compost,this can be done twice a year if you have the time and room.
ada

#3 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 15:48 PM

Its well documented that sarra's when small can skip dormancy.They will continue to grow indoors,although slower.

Yes, I'd read this somewhere. And I think I'll be doing it with more seedlings this year :yes:

repotting always gives seedlings a boost.There is something they get from fresh compost,this can be done twice a year if you have the time and room.
ada

Thanks, Ada, I wasn't aware of this. Surprising though considering the compost is lacking in nutrients.
Unfortunately I don't have the room either for doing it more often. :(

#4 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 20:29 PM

An oxygen boost? Or the disturbance just encourages them to put on growth spurt?

#5 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I repotted all the seedlings about a month ago and this is where they are now. The image doesn't show it very clearly but there's some nice orange on some of the pitchers.

Posted Image

Edited by linuxman, 31 March 2012 - 10:44 AM.