Ceph Emergency!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alanbower

alanbower
  • Full Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 19:53 PM

Had some trouble over Xmas which meant I was away from home for an extended period. The other half didn't know to make sure she was damp....when I got home....DRY AS A BONE!!!

I have since cut back all dead dry and crispy leaves and pitchers to be left with this...

Posted Image

2 non carny leaves coming from one central point with what looks like 3 little nubs coming from the centre of the join....

Any advice?

She is currently in a terrarium sitting in rain water up to bottom of pot so not TOO moist....

#2 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 24 January 2012 - 19:58 PM

That should live.

#3 alanbower

alanbower
  • Full Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 20:08 PM

That should live.

Would you recommend taking her somewhere warmer? My work office at the mo is nicely warm (nep seems to be better than ever after moving her there 3 days ago) with nice good (not TOO direct sunlight...

#4 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 20:09 PM

The central leaves look nice and shiny, so should be ok. Best to carefully remove the dead pitchers and leaves, as they could rot and are of no use to the plant as they are. Be careful to not get it too wet.

#5 alanbower

alanbower
  • Full Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 20:52 PM

OK...all chopped back to JUST the two leaves and "nubbs" Isn't she hairy close up!!! hahaha
Here's how she looks now....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Should I take her to my (really rather) warm, natural sunlit office or leave her in her warmish fluo lit terrarium?

#6 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 21:07 PM

Just keep an eye on how its doing in whatever environment you decide on to keep it. If your terrarium is not well ventilated then be careful of fungal attack from increased humidity. Also, if kept in a high humidity environment it will need slowly acclimatising to lower levels if you decide to move it at a later date.

#7 Marcus B

Marcus B
  • Full Members
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:CP, turtles, birds, native plants

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

I have seen a lot worse. At least you still have leaves. I have had plants die back to just the older part of the rhizome under ground. No leaves, no roots, no growth points, but still alive and able to recover slowly. As Mobile says, watch the humidity and air movement, but it should be fine.