* * * * * 1 votes

Mike King's Open day (weekend), Saturday 9th of June

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Mike King

Mike King
  • Global Moderator
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:Snooker, motorcycles, chess, astronomy, cosmology and of course CP

Posted 18 January 2012 - 22:24 PM

Hi,
You are all welcome to come to my open day or weekend as some of you come from overseas to make it the whole weekend.

This year, if you are coming from overseas, you will be welcome to arrive on the Friday. I will be available all day and I know some of you like to come early to get the best plants ;-D. The plan is in the evening to eat together at the Severn Gorge pub which is about 1/4 mile from my house before the main event on the Saturday.

Officially, the open day itself starts at 12 noon, but if you want to come earlier, please be prepared to help with the setting up of the large gazeebos! Afterwards, we have an invitation to travel down to Hereford to see P&J plants collection before setiing off to Ian & Dianne's collection near Neath. If this isn't possible for some of the overseas visitors, we can be back in Telford the same night as P&J is 1 hour 20 minutes from me or we could leave Ian & Dianne's very early Sunday morning. We can sort out the finer details as the date gets nearer

This year, there will be more to see with the building of a new greenhouse. Somehow Helen has let me build greenhouse number 6 and I am proud to announce this as part of the 'Ark of Life' project as outlined in Stewart McPherson's new book. There is also a new 7m long cold frame installed to maximise my space in the garden.

This invitiation is also open to anyone so if you are travelling from overseas, the German group has found an excellent hotel deal at the International hotel for very low weekend rates. I can also list bed & breakfasts etc

As usual, there will be plenty of food and drinks available. Please feel free to bring plants for sale or swapping (please remember me if there is anything interesting Sarracenia wise as I am still collecting!)

I look forward to seeing many of you and also please let me know if you intend to come so we can get enough food in!

#2 The body snatcher pod

The body snatcher pod
  • Full Members
  • 201 posts
  • Location:North of Spain. Basque Country, Bizkaia, Portugalete.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Oooh! I want to be there!

Is esay to get there from Doncaster or from South Yorkshire in general? I mean, is easy to get there by train or something like that?

#3 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 15:24 PM

Should be there, as long as there are no complications. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing all your Sarracenia! :wacko1:

#4 Mike King

Mike King
  • Global Moderator
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 20:03 PM

Oooh! I want to be there!

Is esay to get there from Doncaster or from South Yorkshire in general? I mean, is easy to get there by train or something like that?

Hi,
It is easy by train; there are trains running from Birmingham every 30 to 60 minutes to Telford Central which is a few minutes by taxi or a 15-20 minute walk.

#5 The body snatcher pod

The body snatcher pod
  • Full Members
  • 201 posts
  • Location:North of Spain. Basque Country, Bizkaia, Portugalete.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 15:53 PM

Oki, thanks!

Me and my girlfriend wil try to get there for the open day!

Hi,
It is easy by train; there are trains running from Birmingham every 30 to 60 minutes to Telford Central which is a few minutes by taxi or a 15-20 minute walk.

#6 VFTLance <3

VFTLance <3
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants
    Gaming
    TV
    Computers
    3D Modelling
    Web Design
    Photography
    Animals
    Music

Posted 23 January 2012 - 18:09 PM

I'll be there again Mike =D excited already, will probably be with Nick and my parents again =D

#7 Carnivine

Carnivine
  • Full Members
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Land Rover, Range Rover & carnivorous plants.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 22:17 PM

We will be there again Mike. What time will you be going to p&j ??

#8 Mike King

Mike King
  • Global Moderator
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 22:57 PM

We will be there again Mike. What time will you be going to p&j ??

Likely to leave just after 5pm

#9 davew.1

davew.1
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:my plants and hartlepool united howay the lads

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi,
You are all welcome to come to my open day or weekend as some of you come from overseas to make it the whole weekend.

This year, if you are coming from overseas, you will be welcome to arrive on the Friday. I will be available all day and I know some of you like to come early to get the best plants ;-D. The plan is in the evening to eat together at the Severn Gorge pub which is about 1/4 mile from my house before the main event on the Saturday.

Officially, the open day itself starts at 12 noon, but if you want to come earlier, please be prepared to help with the setting up of the large gazeebos! Afterwards, we have an invitation to travel down to Hereford to see P&J plants collection before setiing off to Ian & Dianne's collection near Neath. If this isn't possible for some of the overseas visitors, we can be back in Telford the same night as P&J is 1 hour 20 minutes from me or we could leave Ian & Dianne's very early Sunday morning. We can sort out the finer details as the date gets nearer

This year, there will be more to see with the building of a new greenhouse. Somehow Helen has let me build greenhouse number 6 and I am proud to announce this as part of the 'Ark of Life' project as outlined in Stewart McPherson's new book. There is also a new 7m long cold frame installed to maximise my space in the garden.

This invitiation is also open to anyone so if you are travelling from overseas, the German group has found an excellent hotel deal at the International hotel for very low weekend rates. I can also list bed & breakfasts etc

As usual, there will be plenty of food and drinks available. Please feel free to bring plants for sale or swapping (please remember me if there is anything interesting Sarracenia wise as I am still collecting!)

I look forward to seeing many of you and also please let me know if you intend to come so we can get enough food in!

#10 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:58 PM

I should also be turning up.
Looking forward to seeing your plants again! :D
EDIT - cannot visit anywhere else though, just Mike's.

Edited by TheInactiveMoth, 28 April 2012 - 19:26 PM.

#11 blueflytrap

blueflytrap
  • Full Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 20:02 PM

hoping to see you on the day Mike,

Warmest regards

(PS. I said a few years ago "why dont you just put the entire garden under glass?"......I didn't think that you waould take it so literally!!!!)

#12 alexa

alexa
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'll be with you on Saturday, first time for me, may be with you early so can help set up.

Alex.

#13 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 21:00 PM

Hi all.
There has been a slight change of plans with this weekend regarding Mike's plans with our overseas friends.
As it is not practical for some of them to get to their flights back home and have time to see our collection, Mike and ourselves have agreed that Mike and our overseas friends will have a visit here on the Friday instead of Saturday evening/ Sunday open day.
Where this really changes things for some of you is the lack of transport options, we will of course still be heading to Paul and Jackie Gardener's collection (Formerly Marston Exotics) and then an hours drive to our home in Neath where our collection is.
We stiil would like any of you who wishes to join us for what we expect to be a pleasant evening with a meal and several pints and a nice Sunday morning relax and a fry up for those of you who are not lettuce lovers.
Then you will have the rest of the day to enjoy the surroundings and have a look around our 4699 pots of plants with many interesting new hybrids and seed grown plants.

Anyone who is interested in following on after Mike's open day then please get in touch or let us know here, and again if you are willing to share your car with others or happy to help pay towards someones fuel then please let others know.
Thanks all and see you soon.
Regards.
Ian and Dianne

Edited by Ian Salter, 06 April 2012 - 21:09 PM.

#14 Tricky Utrici

Tricky Utrici
  • Full Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia.
    Driving my Lotus at Castle Combe.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'll be there Mike, always something of interest on the sales bench.

Paul, I'll try to get down before this, but if not will come with the crowd.

Ian, one of my favourite open days. Guaranteed to find something odd and unusual in the polytunnel, and I don't just mean Ian!

Looking forward to an expensive weekend.

Les
  • Elliot likes this

#15 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 15:48 PM

Ian, one of my favourite open days. Guaranteed to find something odd and unusual in the polytunnel, and I don't just mean Ian!

Les

Lol

#16 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think I'll come but Im not 100% sure yet. It's nearly 2hrs from Manchester (in one way) so I have to make arrangements with my dad first :D

What time is it open from on Saturday?

Edited by Gekon, 28 April 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#17 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 28 April 2012 - 14:38 PM

Officially, the open day itself starts at 12 noon

ada

#18 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 15:01 PM

Right I spoked to my dad and he said yes :banana: But I'll only come to see and buy some of your plants. I can't go to any trip...

Edited by Gekon, 28 April 2012 - 15:03 PM.

#19 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:32 PM

Right I spoked to my dad and he said yes :banana: But I'll only come to see and buy some of your plants. I can't go to any trip...

I look forward to seeing you there :D

#20 Gekon

Gekon
  • Full Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:39 PM

I look forward to seeing you there :D

:D can't wait :alright:

Edited by Gekon, 28 April 2012 - 18:42 PM.