- - - - -

McPherson books

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:19 PM

Anyone thought that maybe the books will be worth more with the errors? Bear in mind that books that concern carnivorous plants are relatively few and far between. Let's see what happens when some of Stewart's books go out of print. You will all be biting the bullet then. Look at Carnivorous Plants of Australia - Vol. 1&2 and how their prices reflect their rarity.

Alright, so errors concerning the actual plants themselves could prove tricky and for the obsessive collector might prove to be annoying. But quite frankly I welcome all new carnivorous plant books, typo errors or not, as quite frankly you would all be moaning if there were none available.

Just as an afterthought - does anyone know how difficult it is writing a book to academic standard? It is very difficult indeed and having been assessed my (supposed) peers at undergraduate and post graduate level it can be rather annoying. I remember one professor counting every word in one of my essays and slashing my grade irrespective of the actual content. It's all coming back now, grrrr.....

Stewart - ignore those picky devils and carry on writing. Shame on all of you for being so critical, give the guy a break and get a life ha, ha!

If you are publishing a book to sell for money then it has to be done to a professional standard. Its not acceptable to just say 'do you know how difficult ....", Do you know how much time ....., Do you know how expensive ......., etc. If you cant do it to a professional standard then you shouldnt do it, or alternatively post your writing on the net and make it available free then nobody can complain. Imagine if every book, magazine newspaper we purchased was full of errors we'd soon get annoyed not to mention the resulting slipping standards.
To the author- its not your fault, sue you proof readers, as they havent done their job. You paid them thousands to ensure these errors are not there. If the publication has as many errors as mentioned then you have a good case against them.

Edited by mantrid, 20 June 2012 - 15:24 PM.

• Jimfan likes this

#22 will9

will9
  • Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:cactussen, succulenten, gardenplants, carnivores - all plants

Posted 20 June 2012 - 16:43 PM

When i written in Netherlands ,my computer marks all the minor faults i make ,it s very difficult to write some errors and not see this if make whit a computer,wat i believe in this modern time,people go not used a typemachine anymore ,or do she?
This cost my notting ,i not need readers after i written something for see the faults or errors .
It s off course something els if you written the wrong things ,these are not corrected by computer.
So it s hard to believe noone see this ,i am only a old guy and not know how writters write there books or not know match from computers,i supoose the younger ones use a computer for everything ,possibly this one is still writting whit a old typemachine..or the editor have makes many faults whit printing out,meaby hes doing also whit a old machine and not whit a computer,for me it s very confused so far i know how a computer works,
Cheers Will

PS i have not this book ,it s only a thaught wat coputers can do and wat not ,it s have notting to do whit the books of Steward,but it s more in generally;

Edited by will9, 21 June 2012 - 16:39 PM.

#23 GazCez

GazCez
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:08 PM

Get a life Mantrid. Let us all see how well you can write a book and make sure that the proof reader's do their job.

I have lost count of how many mistakes I see in best seller novels. It does not stop my enjoyment of the book and gosh I wish I had the time to moan on about other people's efforts at literature. Grammatical errors anyone? Split infintive's maybe? Maybe I should 'to boldly go'!

Live long and prosper Stewart and give the old one fingered salute to all those sad beggars who criticise your work.

#24 Carnivine

Carnivine
  • Full Members
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Land Rover, Range Rover & carnivorous plants.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 17:34 PM

I have a copy of all of Stewarts books and am waiting for the rest of his books to be published. I for one agree with the above comment about giving the guy a break. Plenty of people are quick to complain, but not so quick to attempt to write such an indepth book themselves.

#25 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 21 June 2012 - 20:18 PM

Get a life Mantrid. Let us all see how well you can write a book and make sure that the proof reader's do their job.

I have lost count of how many mistakes I see in best seller novels. It does not stop my enjoyment of the book and gosh I wish I had the time to moan on about other people's efforts at literature. Grammatical errors anyone? Split infintive's maybe? Maybe I should 'to boldly go'!

Live long and prosper Stewart and give the old one fingered salute to all those sad beggars who criticise your work.

I would write it very badly, but I would expect the professionals I employ to do the proof reading to do their job properly otherwise I would be looking for my money back and more.

I read novels too and I find that there is usually between 0 and 3 mistakes in each book probably double that as Im sure I miss some, which I except, as even professionals are human. But if there is as many mistakes in this book as is being suggested then that is more than the norm in my opinion.
  • Jimfan likes this

#26 Jimfan

Jimfan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Gaz, all those giving criticism have said that Stew's books are amazing... fact. What is criticized is the editing of one set, the Sarraceniaceae books... all the criticism importantly highlights the issue of consistency... and being an adult, we can be sure McPherson will take it into consideration without raising middle fingers or telling those who offer useful feedback to get a life... and having heard him speak I doubt its his style either. There's a difference between putting him down needlessly and highlighting a problem with a product that... for the money... many people regard as being above an acceptable level. No author i worked with in publishing would ever underestimate the value of negative feedback... I think the people voicing opinions here are doing him a service, and besides, its the editors of the Sarraceniaceae books and not Stew himself that are at fault here.