- - - - -

Emu point Cephalotus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Is there such a thing as a Emu point Giant Cephalotus follicularis? I want to buy it but not sure if there is really such a cultivar :whistling:

#2 Marcus B

Marcus B
  • Full Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:CP, turtles, birds, native plants

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

It is not a registered cultivar. Emu Point is a real place, close to Albany. With the level of apparent development of the town, I doubt any Cephs of significance would have been found there recently. Where did you get the name from?

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,421 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I remember seeing this named location Cephalotus discussed on Terraforums. In fact, I enquired about it and this is the reply: http://terraforums.c...t=126218&page=3

There's also this thread: http://www.terraforu...ad.php?t=129430

#4 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

It is not a registered cultivar. Emu Point is a real place, close to Albany. With the level of apparent development of the town, I doubt any Cephs of significance would have been found there recently. Where did you get the name from?

Some guy had a ceph on ebay emu point giant for sale

#5 jesse

jesse
  • Full Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Some guy had a ceph on ebay emu point giant for sale

I think I should start into Cephalotus business on ebay, too.

My Cephalotus would be named "Cephalotus Giant Rip Off Red", sorry I mean "Cephalotus Giant Double Rib Red". Or perhaps "Cephalotus Giant Double Rib Black", I'm just working out something with the lighting of my plants, which may influence the future name.

It's not forbidden to invent fancy names selling plants as long as people are paying for names and as long as the names are not to be confused with latin species names, isn't it?

#6 Marcus B

Marcus B
  • Full Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:CP, turtles, birds, native plants

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think I should start into Cephalotus business on ebay, too.

My Cephalotus would be named "Cephalotus Giant Rip Off Red", sorry I mean "Cephalotus Giant Double Rib Red". Or perhaps "Cephalotus Giant Double Rib Black", I'm just working out something with the lighting of my plants, which may influence the future name.

It's not forbidden to invent fancy names selling plants as long as people are paying for names and as long as the names are not to be confused with latin species names, isn't it?

Yes, I have been told that I ought to be selling my plants on Ebay too, especially the deep purple ones. Maybe I ought to call them "Deep Purple Clone", and sell the other ones as "Green Clone" and just forget to mention that they are all from the same parent plant and just grown on different shelves.

I am actually planning to put one of my "Giants" on Ebay though, but it is just a suspected "Hummer", that was distributed before the clone was named. It is consistantly bigger than my other clones. However, it would only be able to be sent locally.

There are other "Giants" around though as one of my suppliers has been selling seed from a giant from another location. I am just wondering if one of the plants he sent me is from that clone, as it is growing rapidly and producing very large pitchers for a small plant. I will just have to wait to see if it rivals the known "Giant" plants in my collection.

Just how big some of these claimed giants actually are is another matter.

#7 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Selling plants with location data is fine, but unless they have some specific characteristics that set them apart from typical then I don't think they should have a different name.

#8 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Is there such a thing as a Emu point Giant Cephalotus follicularis? I want to buy it but not sure if there is really such a cultivar :whistling:

The plants originated from rhizomes from SW Australia -- and were arbitrarily tagged "Emu Point" for the area outside of a park where they had collected almost ten years ago. The plants were characterized by stout, dark pitchers, often exceeding 6.4 cm and were distributed and traded among friends long ago. Whether those plants are those being offered, I have no way of knowing; nor am I involved in any way with their sale. To date there are only two recognized cultivars: "Hummer's Giant" and "Eden Black" . . .

Edited by loligo1964, 12 April 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#9 Damien

Damien
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:52 PM

So if the only 2 recognised cultivars are Hummer's Giant and Eden Black presumably all the others are really just 'typical'... is that correct ?

I have a ceph. called 'Dudley Watts' - so is that just a name someone called it in the past ?

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:58 PM

So if the only 2 recognised cultivars are Hummer's Giant and Eden Black presumably all the others are really just 'typical'... is that correct ?

No, the others are names clones, rather than registered cultivars.

#11 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:12 PM

No, the others are names clones, rather than registered cultivars.

although if you read the cultivar section on ICPS forum, the fact that I published the name "Dudley Watts" in my 'Eden Black' cultivar description may be enough to establish it as a cultivar..."Vigorous Clumping" too...:sun_bespectacled:

#12 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:17 PM

I have a ceph. called 'Dudley Watts' - so is that just a name someone called it in the past ?

really? its not very common, where did you get it? the name comes ffrom me I believe, I got the plant from Dudley Watts originally and put it on my grow list as Dudley Watts' clone, to differentiate it from my other clones. the name has stuck...

definitely worthy of cultivar status!

#13 Damien

Damien
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I got it a few years ago from a well known grower, not sure if I'm allowed to mention his name or not.. is it allowed ?

I have seen it on quite a few growlists on here so it must be popular.

Mine has large pitchers most of the time and they turn almost black, it's a lovely variety.