• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

This is a serious question.

I have several plants of 'Eden Black' from cuttings from last year ready to go out to people on the waiting list, all very small about this size (the pot size is 5 cm, so these plants are small!):
Posted Image
Cephalotus Eden Black leaf cutting by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

Previously I have swapped for not very much, or given the plants for free and asked for (anonymous) donations to the CPS conservation fund. Given the interest in the plants, and the fact that a few have now been resold, it would be silly of me to continue to give them away. I'm not in it for the money, if I was I would put them all on eBay and scrap the waiting list. I would like to honour the waiting list, but I would like to set a fair price.
So, what do people think is a "fair" price for a potted plant like the one above? I am genuinely interested in people's honest opinions and they will guide me in what I set the price at.

thanks

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,274 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 13:09 PM

My guess is there will be a large difference between 'fair' price and market value. For guidance, how much have the few that got onto eBay made in auction?

#3 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 26 December 2011 - 13:52 PM

I'm with Carl.
Cephs can go for really silly money on e-bay,the last dudley watts clone i saw went for over £200 i think. I wouldn't pay that for Dudley watts.
Eden black is still rare and very sought after so some people will pay for it at what ever price.

My first EB was only a leaf and one root when i got it and i donated £25 to the cp fund. That was a few years ago now,and sadly i lost it in the cold winter the other year.
So if you are getting a small plant with pitchers you can expand on that price quite a bit i would say.

If some people don't want to pay "a fair" price at what ever Stephen sets it at, i have no doubt others will be more than willing to take any spare plant that became available,unless he still wants to swap for something rare he hasn't got :tu:
ada

#4 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 26 December 2011 - 14:45 PM

Theres no such thing as a fair price, as it would be different for different people. Whats its worth is what somebody is prepared to pay for it. Dont feel guilty about selling it for a nice stack of cash as if the buyer wasnt happy with the price then they wouldnt pay. As for the people who want one but cant or wont pay your price then they can wait until they are more common. This is how our capitalistic society works. I wouldnt rush out to buy the latest technology and am happy to wait a couple of years.

#5 Cephman

Cephman
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 17:20 PM

I would say a fair price would be $200-250 dollars or about 150 British pounds.
If you were to put this on eBay in the US it would most likely go for more.
Just my opinion.

#6 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 17:50 PM

I suspect that the waiting list will decrease if there is a set price, as I is likely to go outside some peoples comfort zone. For instance, I would not be willing to pay £150. That's not to say the plant is not worth it, just that I don't spend that kind of money on a plant.

#7 dimitar

dimitar
  • Full Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 18:04 PM

I would not be willing to pay £150. That's not to say the plant is not worth it, just that I don't spend that kind of money on a plant.

I agree here with Carl!
But I only would add - I also wouldn't pay such money, not only for Edan Black but whatever plant, no matter how rare they are. They are just plants finaly.

#8 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

£150 would be too much in my opinion.
Be generous with it, but still make some cash. Also keep in mind, the buyer will get divisions and sell those probably, so they'll hardly lose out.

#9 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

£150 would be too much in my opinion.
Be generous with it, but still make some cash. Also keep in mind, the buyer will get divisions and sell those probably, so they'll hardly lose out.

They would easily make that on eBay - in fact, if I recall correctly one sold for ~£600, so £150 would be 1/4 price! Plus as you mentioned the buyers could, and have already in at least one case, make a profit on any cuttings.

#10 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

They would easily make that on eBay - in fact, if I recall correctly one sold for ~£600, so £150

well £600 was just a silly price! I was thinking of somewhere in the range £50 -£100...

#11 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 13:03 PM

well £600 was just a silly price! I was thinking of somewhere in the range £50 -£100...

I think that £100 would be a bargain for such a rare and sort after CP. I guess that peoples views as to its worth could be swayed by whether they are on the waiting list or not. If I was on it then I would be tempted to say £50 :wink:

#12 RL7836

RL7836
  • Full Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 14:56 PM

I think that £100 would be a bargain for such a rare and sort after CP.

I agree - I think £100-150 would be very fair considering the pent-up demand for this plant. People who paid this price will easily recoup it with their 1st cutting on fleabay, Stephen gets to pocket a few pounds to cover his expenses and it will likely cut down a few places on the waiting list as there will inevitably be some who will not pay anything above £30 for a plant. You will not be able to make these people happy as they will also want to buy an eddy for a similar price & be unhappy.

Heck, just the opportunity to purchase directly from the originator & absolutely know that you're getting the real deal is worth a significant premium imho & this is a premium that holds it's value - as more & more fakes enter the market, educated buyers will look to buy from someone with plants that can be traced back to the originator. Hmmm - £150+ :biggrin:

Edited by RL7836, 27 December 2011 - 15:03 PM.

#13 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 16:47 PM

thanks for all the replies, very useful

I am going to set the price at £75 plus postage

Edited by gardenofeden, 29 December 2011 - 16:49 PM.

#14 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 16:55 PM

Wow! I think that is more than fair for a plant in such demand. Good on you for being so fair.

#15 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 17:17 PM

thanks...very difficult decision though and kept changing my mind.
however I should add that if people start resellng them then the gloves are off and the list goes out the window
  • naz likes this

#16 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 29 December 2011 - 18:42 PM

Very reasonable price, personally I would happily pay £75 to own a small eden black cutting.

#17 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 19:56 PM

Same, a very good price :clapping: Would have to be mad not to pay that for one of these, or at least a tiny bit barmy.

(Can i join the list?)

#18 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 21:35 PM

Glad I'm on the list.. :sun_bespectacled:

#19 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Lucky ;)

#20 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

thanks...very difficult decision though and kept changing my mind.
however I should add that if people start resellng them then the gloves are off and the list goes out the window

I would easily pay 200-250 usd for a division. But it sucks living in the usa the plants can not be shipped over seas