Photo
- - - - -

1/4" Strength fertilizer with distilled water in Cephalotus follicularis pitchers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 21 December 2011 - 16:22 PM

Hello, I was reading a in script on growing Nepenthes villosa. From what I understand is when Growing N. villosa you can fill the young pitchers with 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer and distilled water to help aid in the overall growth of the plant. Can this be done with Cephalotus follicularis? I guess one would have to experiment to find out. Anybody out there try this method for feeding their Ceph. :whistling:
I guess I am going to experiment on my vigorous Cephalotus follicularis. I will post results and pictures of before and after. :thumbsup:

Edited by bodaciousbonsai, 21 December 2011 - 16:26 PM.

#2 Defalotus

Defalotus
  • Full Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 16:49 PM

I fertilize my cephs through the roots but have never put fertilizer in a pitcher. Keep us updated!

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,164 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:07 PM

I root feed mine with orchid fertiliser or hydroponic nutrient solution. Whilst pitcher feeding might work, I don't really see the need when I can root feed.

#4 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

I have put 1/4 20-30-20 houseplant fertilizer in young ceph pitchers and have seen little effects, good or bad.

#5 RL7836

RL7836
  • Full Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

When I have the time, I regularly place some weak fertilizer solution in the pitchers. I understand from Av that Cephs also get a significant amount of their nutrients from root uptake but ferts in the pitchers help keep mosses from going crazy.