Photo
- - - - -

Hello From NY USA (Heaven and Hell vs Eden Black)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:06 PM

Can anyone tell me how to either get seed or get a root division of Cephalotus follicularis Eden Black. I know There is a waiting list for a division. I live in Western NY USA and am willing to move heaven and hell to acquire this beautiful plant. Even if I have to fly to the United Kingdom with my import permit I am willing to do so. How can I contact Stephen Morley. Can someone get him the message for me. I was also Wondering what is the Best way to start seed with Nepenthes villosa. I have 150 seeds coming and I am up to the challenge. I currently am a Expert Grower of and not limited to Orchids, bonsai trees, carnivorous plants,alpine gardens etc.. Well I am over there mine as well pick up a Dudley watts and vigorous Clumping cultivar. I can even get real cheap round trip tickets. I am on on Mission Ladies and Gents. If I can grow and Flower the Dendrophylax lindenii a.k.a Ghost orchid. I can do anything. I just really hope this is not wishful thinking.

#2 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:13 PM

Stephen will be on here soon,no doubt he'll advise you on the possibility of getting a bit.
just wait a while.
ada

#3 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:04 PM

Stephen will be on here soon,no doubt he'll advise you on the possibility of getting a bit.
just wait a while.
ada

Cool Thanks alot

#4 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:23 PM

here I am :red33:

#5 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:28 PM

Welcome to CPUK. I'm also from New York State.

#6 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:39 PM

here I am :red33:

Hello Stephen! So..... Tell me is it next to near impossible to get either a division or seed of Eden Black?? I have been drooling for about a year now and have since then committed myself to wearing a diaper around my mouth.. :sun_bespectacled:

#7 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:39 PM

Welcome to CPUK. I'm also from New York State.

Whats up neighbour im from North Tonawanda

Edited by bodaciousbonsai, 30 November 2011 - 17:40 PM.

#8 Little-Bacchus

Little-Bacchus
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Botany, Art, Music, Science, Entomology

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:25 PM

Welcome to CPUK and now I have seen Cephalotus follicularis I want one lol...

#9 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:31 PM

Hello Stephen! So..... Tell me is it next to near impossible to get either a division or seed of Eden Black?? I have been drooling for about a year now and have since then committed myself to wearing a diaper around my mouth.. :sun_bespectacled:

well not impossible, this year I actually produced a load of self pollinated seed for the first time (in any quantity), you just missed the last packet which went last week. I even donated 3 packs to the auction on this site. I sold most on eBay, but don't usually offer to USA due to the hassle of small lots of seed permits, and I only send completely legally and above board. I should have more seed next autumn, but not nearly as much as this year as flowering sets the plants back, so vigour and colour are poor this autumn.:confused:

there is a long (closed) waiting list for plants, which are usually from leaf cuttings, which take at least a year, not as quick as other clones. Last year (ie cuttings from 2009) was awful, only 1 successful strike and that went to tissue culture. This year (2010 cuttings) is better, probably 7 or so, and next year "quite a lot" as it has been a good year for non carnivorous leaf production. I only send to Europe, and only 17 so far in total.

I have yet to send out this years plants, partly because I want them to be well established, partly as I am struggling with how to charge for them. Sometimes I swap, or more usually send for free requesting a donation to the CPUK conservation fund. I am not entirely happy with this arrangement, as I have no way of knowing how much is donated. Also, some plants are now being sold on. I am tempted to charge "full market value" and then donate a proportion to the conservation fund myself, watch this space.

Hopefully tissue culture will take off soon, then we have almost unlimited scope to send worldwide without the need for phytosanitary. I am unwilling to go through the hoops of sending overseas when there is still a waiting list to clear, but I may be able to clear that in the next couple of years....then...maybe...:biggrin:

#10 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • Interests:music, cycling, travelling, minerals, utricularia :-)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:39 PM

Welcome to cpuk :smile:

#11 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

well not impossible, this year I actually produced a load of self pollinated seed for the first time (in any quantity), you just missed the last packet which went last week. I even donated 3 packs to the auction on this site. I sold most on eBay, but don't usually offer to USA due to the hassle of small lots of seed permits, and I only send completely legally and above board. I should have more seed next autumn, but not nearly as much as this year as flowering sets the plants back, so vigour and colour are poor this autumn.:confused:

there is a long (closed) waiting list for plants, which are usually from leaf cuttings, which take at least a year, not as quick as other clones. Last year (ie cuttings from 2009) was awful, only 1 successful strike and that went to tissue culture. This year (2010 cuttings) is better, probably 7 or so, and next year "quite a lot" as it has been a good year for non carnivorous leaf production. I only send to Europe, and only 17 so far in total.

I have yet to send out this years plants, partly because I want them to be well established, partly as I am struggling with how to charge for them. Sometimes I swap, or more usually send for free requesting a donation to the CPUK conservation fund. I am not entirely happy with this arrangement, as I have no way of knowing how much is donated. Also, some plants are now being sold on. I am tempted to charge "full market value" and then donate a proportion to the conservation fund myself, watch this space.

Hopefully tissue culture will take off soon, then we have almost unlimited scope to send worldwide without the need for phytosanitary. I am unwilling to go through the hoops of sending overseas when there is still a waiting list to clear, but I may be able to clear that in the next couple of years....then...maybe...:biggrin:

Well maybe some day then. But for now i always have my vigorous clone and a black sharpie.hmmm...guess that have to do for now. Well hell if ya ever wanna swap for some micro miniature orchids let me know. I have a far amount of truely rare orchids.

#12 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Eden Black" x "Eden Black have made it to the USA.

#13 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Eden Black" x "Eden Black have made it to the USA.

REALLY!! So where can i find these eden black in the u.s.a.

#14 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

There are a few people with seeds from Eden Black in the US. Havent seen any posting of germination yet though. Not everyone posts on forums though.

#15 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

I sent about 100 this year to the USA

#16 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 19:17 PM

Well i guess I will just have to wait till something comes around.

I sent about 100 this year to the USA

#17 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 21:39 PM

Stephen, I was wondering if you know if any of your Cephalotus follicularis divisions made it to a Gentlemen by the name of Charles Brewer? If so that's great news! Because I acquired a rooted division from a gentlemen online in the united states that is called vigorous which is not far from the truth. My Ceph grows extremely fast and is clumping like crazy. :sarcastic_blum:

#18 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 22:36 PM

best put this under Cephalotus section?

I've never sent any of my plants out of Europe, especially not "vigorous clumping" which has even less distributiuon than 'Eden Black'. Many Ceph clones are vigorous, and this was only a nickname for one of my plants, which produces lots of smallish pitchers.

#19 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

Apparrantly a guy on this forum called Carlos Rohrbacher from brazil has an eden black ceph, don't know if it's the real deal though. Might have better luck and be quicker getting something from him.

#20 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:29 PM

Well, if Carlos Rohrbacher does claim to have one, then I am pretty sure he's got the real deal.