5 replies to this topic

#1 Laurent T

Laurent T
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Nature - and Forest Conservation

Posted 15 November 2011 - 19:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I want to grow some pygmy drosera in the future because I don't have any of them in my collection.
I know in which conditions they grow in nature. They like it sunny and they grow in sandy substrates but how do you grow them in cultivation? Which substrate do you use? 100% sand? A mixture with perlite or peat? or?
I also read that there roots can exceed 20 cm in length, so I think that large pots are necessary?
But my biggest question is the lighting and temperature? Do I need to buy special grow lights for these pygmy's? Can I grow them in the greenhouse or is a terrarium necessary? What about the temperature? A constant high temperature? Or cooler nights?
In Australia there is an extreme seasonal drought in which they live, how do you solve this in cultivation? How much water do they need?

I know people, many questions but I want some personal experiences from you! Because maybe there are more successful methods to grow them. Thanks!

Cheers,
Laurent

#2 dimitar

dimitar
  • Full Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 21:50 PM

Hi Laurent,

Hi everyone,

They like it sunny and they grow in sandy substrates but how do you grow them in cultivation?

I grow some of my plants outdoors freely from early spring to late autumn and they receive much, much sun.

Which substrate do you use?

Substrates based on peat, but quite sandy.

100% sand?

Definitely not.

A mixture with perlite or peat?

Nope, I use peat/quarz sand in ratio - 2/1

I also read that there roots can exceed 20 cm in length, so I think that large pots are necessary?

It would be a wise to use deep pots, although I have not seen roots sizes 20cm.

But my biggest question is the lighting and temperature?

They need lots of light and mild/warm conditions

Do I need to buy special grow lights for these pygmy's?

It depends on what conditions you have and what conditions you can provide for them.

Can I grow them in the greenhouse or is a terrarium necessary?

I grow mine in a greenhouse only during the winter.

A constant high temperature? Or cooler nights?

They are not fussy at this.

How much water do they need?

My pots are placed in trays of water, but with the exception of winter.

Cheers,
D.

Edited by dimitar, 15 November 2011 - 22:07 PM.

#3 Tommyr

Tommyr
  • Full Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:gardening,ham radio,meteorites,astronomy

Posted 20 November 2011 - 13:29 PM

I grow my scorps in a standard 50/50 peat moss and perlite mix. They get bright light to afternoon Sun. They produce gemmae this time of year.

#4 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 21 November 2011 - 20:01 PM

For a bit of comic relief:

Posted Image

There's fresh gemmae in them there pots!

#5 Tarek

Tarek
  • Full Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Family; CA`p ; Fishing ; IT ; Movies ; Travel and many others :)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 14:06 PM

Hello, i am as well very interested to grow Pymgy Drosera, curently only have Lake Badgerup, who looks like that in summer :
Posted Image
Now waiting Drosera paleacea subsp. roseana 10 pc of gemms and one more.I use perlite and natural peat moss, or it`s very big diference to plant if i use not sand, but perlite?
I put my sundews in southwest windowsill, it`s allright? All year indoor, but now I bought small grennhouse, not propa one, just simple one, and I think about outdoor.

Edited by Tarek, 19 February 2012 - 14:08 PM.

#6 ifurita

ifurita
  • Full Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I want to grow some pygmy drosera in the future because I don't have any of them in my collection.
I know in which conditions they grow in nature. They like it sunny and they grow in sandy substrates but how do you grow them in cultivation? Which substrate do you use? 100% sand? A mixture with perlite or peat? or?
But my biggest question is the lighting and temperature? Do I need to buy special grow lights for these pygmy's? Can I grow them in the greenhouse or is a terrarium necessary? What about the temperature? A constant high temperature? Or cooler nights?
In Australia there is an extreme seasonal drought in which they live, how do you solve this in cultivation? How much water do they need?

I know people, many questions but I want some personal experiences from you! Because maybe there are more successful methods to grow them. Thanks!

Cheers,
Laurent

Hi Laurent,

I'm from the tropics, so hope this is still useful to you:

They don't seem to be fussy, they will grow on anything from a peat and perlite mix to sphagnum and perlite to slimy decomposing sphagnum on top of who knows what(I kid you not). I've yet to try 100% sand.

Large/tall pots aren't necessary. Some of mine grow in very shallow trays where the media is only a few(2-4) cm in height. This works for at least 4 different species, but it may not work for all.

They don't seem too demanding on light, but give them as much light as you can, they will love it. Here in the tropics, they can be happy with just morning sun and bright shade. Temperature is an issue, they get unhappy when day temps go to >32C. They start to go dormant around the middle of the year when day temps hit 35C daily and night temps don't drop below 27C. Dormancy can be avoided if temps are kept lower than 35C during the day and a good night drop in temperature is given(to 20C or lower). This temperature requirement varies between species, some can take it warmer while others will go dormant easily.

I keep them wet all year round. Some are growing happily in semi-flooded conditions in undraining containers. Keeping them too wet during dormancy will cause rot and death.

All my pygmies are grown at my bedroom windows. Gemmae is produced as and when they feel like it, on an irregular basis.