Garden fleece

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dode

Dode
  • Full Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone used "garden fleece" over the winter. I'm not sure if it would encourage mould as it would restrict air flow

#2 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Fleece is useful for animals because it prevents too much heat escaping from the body, but it's less effective for plants because they don't create their own heat.

You're better with bubble wrap. The air pockets are heated during the day and release it slowly over the night, hopefully keeping the ambient temperature a little higher.

The best insulator is air, but fleece doesn't have the capacity to trap it very well.

I'm actually going to town on the bubble wrap this month and am going to try wrapping each pot individually, leaving the top open for air movement. Yes the heat will escape from the top, but hopefully they'll be enough ambient trapped heat to keep temperatures slightly higher.

I've also got two doors, at both ends of the new greenhouse so that on mild, dank days the air can move through, like a tunnel.

I'll post photos in the next couple of weeks when its done.

#3 jesse

jesse
  • Full Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Has anyone used "garden fleece" over the winter. I'm not sure if it would encourage mould as it would restrict air flow

Yes, I use garden fleece on my mini-bogs to prevent the hardy Drosera and Pinguicula hibernaculae from beeing freeze-dried during periods with sharp frost, wind and without any snow covering.

It's the restricted air flow under the garden fleece that prevents the freeze-drying.

When daily average temps are above 0°C and snow has melted, I remove the fleece from the mini bogs.
The fleece is just to protect the plants against freeze-drying during frost without snow.