- - - - -

Fridge Method

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Gardening (particularly the growth of exotics).

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Can anyone offer some advice.
There used to be a video on YouTube of how to use the fridge method for dormancy but I can't find it any more.

I have several Sarracenia and a Fly Trap and I want to overwinter them, using the fridge method.
They are not currently in pots and will be dug up from a planter.
As far as I recall, the method was...

1) Cut off pitchers, dig up plants, remove soil and put them in a sealed plastic bag
2) Place in the fridge
3) Take out in March

Please let me know if this is not sound practice. I have a couple of questions...

1) Is it okay to put them in the fridge now. I heard 3 months is the maximum for dormancy so they would be in for 4 months if I do it now. Would that be alright. We had about -2 last night.
2) Should there be some moisture in the plastic bag?

Thanks

#2 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 06 November 2011 - 14:48 PM

If you are getting temps as low as -2 and they are presumably outside exposed to it why would you want to use the fridge method? Just leave them where they are.
Fridge method is generally used by people in tropical regions or people who cant give their plants a winter temp of around 10C or less.

Edited by mantrid, 06 November 2011 - 14:50 PM.

#3 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

If you are getting temps as low as -2 and they are presumably outside exposed to it why would you want to use the fridge method? Just leave them where they are.
Fridge method is generally used by people in tropical regions or people who cant give their plants a winter temp of around 10C or less.

We are getting -2 now. It was -17 last year in the greenhouse.

#4 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 07 November 2011 - 13:26 PM

Hi Rachel

i know thw video you mean, cant find it myself, use ziplock bags though to prevent dehydration, and I would dust with anti fungus powder to be on the safe side, perhaps this link may help. http://www.flytrapca...p-dormancy.html

Cheers Steve

#5 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 07 November 2011 - 14:51 PM

We are getting -2 now. It was -17 last year in the greenhouse.

In my experience if they are not frozen for prolonged periods then its not a problem. Theres no difference between -1 and -20 as far as the plant is concerned, once its frozen its frozen. It can freeze any more.
My theory is its not being frozen thats the problem its desiccation ie losing too much water by evaporation that cannot be replaced as the vascular tissue is frozen. This takes time and isnt a problem if the plant is frozen for a few days. If your green house gets sun in the day then there shouldnt be a problem as the frozen plants will thaw allowing lost water to be replaced by transpiration. If your greenhouse is in shade and the temp looks like its going to be sub zero for a week or more invest in a cheap paraffin heater just to break the freeze. I say this every winter, following this procedure I have never lost a cp to the cold.

#6 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, Steve, a great help.

Mantrid, this is my 3rd winter with Sarracenia. I am not prepared to invest in a parrafin heater that is why I am asking about the fridge method. Thanks for your input but I have all the information I need now.

#7 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, Steve, a great help.

Mantrid, this is my 3rd winter with Sarracenia. I am not prepared to invest in a parrafin heater that is why I am asking about the fridge method. Thanks for your input but I have all the information I need now.

?? If its your third winter and they are still alive why change to a different strategy. Theres a saying 'dont fix it if it isnt broken'.

#8 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 22:32 PM

?? If its your third winter and they are still alive why change to a different strategy. Theres a saying 'dont fix it if it isnt broken'.

I really don't need lectures, thank you very much.
I asked for information specifically on the fridge method, not for your philosophy on life!
  • StuartF likes this

#9 alexa

alexa
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Hi Rachel

I'm not trying to lecture you, and feel free to do whatever you wish but Mantrid is right on all counts. I would never recommend the fridge method for anyone who dosen't actually need to do it. You are just as likely to lose plants in the fridge as the greenhouse, as its not a fail safe method. I assume like all of us on this forum you're collecting plants, what will you do when you have hundreds?

Regards
Alex.
  • Little-Bacchus likes this

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,164 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Although the picture have gone, you might be interested in this guide: How to: Fridge dormancy Fridge Dormancy

#11 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

Although the picture have gone, you might be interested in this guide: How to: Fridge dormancy Fridge Dormancy

Thanks and to Alexa too.

#12 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I really don't need lectures, thank you very much.
I asked for information specifically on the fridge method, not for your philosophy on life!

I gave you sound advice based on years of experience then simply asked you a question. I am suprised by your hostility.

#13 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

Probably not the video you were referring to, Rachel, but it does show a fridge dormancy being prepared.

http://www.youtube.c.../58/JHoC7YLOqbM

#14 Rachel

Rachel
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Probably not the video you were referring to, Rachel, but it does show a fridge dormancy being prepared.

Thanks, Numpty. That's not the video I saw before but it has exactly the same content :thumbsup:

#15 Tommyr

Tommyr
  • Full Members
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:gardening,ham radio,meteorites,astronomy

Posted 15 January 2012 - 18:28 PM

That is basically how I do mine.