- - - - -

Ultrasonic foggers - are they needed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,164 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 16:30 PM

A while back ultrasonic foggers seemed to be popular with Heliamphora growers. Is this still the case and if so what is the purpose? Presumably the humidity within a terrarium will already be high, so I would imagine that a fogger wouldn't add much to it. The only thing I can think of is they would have a evaporative cooling effect, but would need running frequently to maintain this.

#2 ifurita

ifurita
  • Full Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 00:45 AM

From my personal experience, I'd say there is no need for it, but my Helis have not reached the stage where they have huge pitchers yet, just small/medium sized adult pitchers. I grow one of mine in an uncovered terrarium and it has been able to reach the adult pitcher stage, so I assume its happy. Humidity in the room at night drops very badly due to air-con although I do cover the terrarium with a thin cloth. A closed terrarium would have much higher humidity levels for sure.

#3 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

I think it would be more useful in a larger setup such as a greenhouse or grow room. I never had an issue with humidity until I moved all my plants to a grow room. Despite my best efforts it is impossible to keep the humidity permanently above 75% or higher.
I spray frequently with good results, but it only offers temporary improvement. A fogger would really sort that problem out. Even with good light some plants are not thriving as before.

#4 moof

moof
  • Full Members
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:CPs, mountains, rock climbing, hiking

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

No need for one, but I like the way the plants look in the fog:) I run the fogger once in a day instead of misting sometimes.

Peter

#5 Deadly Weapon

Deadly Weapon
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Plants, art, movies and culture

Posted 07 October 2011 - 17:35 PM

I don't have Heliamphoras yet, but when I get them and a terraria for them, I will get ultrasonic forreg too. Just because the fog looks cool and keeps the humidity high.