unknown Orchid - please ID

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 18:51 PM

Hi all - I really would appreciate some help to ID this orchid.

It and another (not yet sure if same species) germinated in a Nep pot several years ago. Within the previous year I had sown some disa seeds and had assumed this was just some stray seeds. I found out today that I have been wrong - this is no disa.

This really could be from anywhere in the world. I think the pot compost was composed of peat, bark, probably some sphagnum and a few other things. The Nep was bokorensis - could the orchid seed have been on that?

So pic's - the lip is actually slightly yellow like in the last pic, not white as it seems in most. It's been growing in a water tray outside all summer and gets direct sunlight for several hours each day. The flowers are small, but the nectar tube is very long - so I guess moth pollinated?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Greatful for any help to even narrow it down.

#2 Dicon

Dicon
  • Full Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:neps and orchids

Posted 28 September 2011 - 19:28 PM

Immediate feeling is Habenaria, not really my area of knowledge but a good starting point I think

Matt

#3 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 20:10 PM

Cheers for input Matt.

After a heavy trawl of the internet - I think I have a candidate, it looks to me as if it may be a cynorkis and does look a lot like cynorkis fastigiata, although mine does seem a little small for that species, what do other orchid fans think ?

With cynorkis, being african terestrials - how on earth has it ended up germinating in my back bedroom :confused:

Edited by Phil Green, 28 September 2011 - 20:16 PM.

#4 John Jearrard

John Jearrard
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 21:53 PM

That's the fella!

Cynorkis fastigiata

I was warned that it was a particular weed of Nepenthes collections (but not a dangerous weed). You probably brought the seed in with a plant.

#5 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

John - I might have known you grow it. Is there anything you don't! Did it survuve in the greenhouse for you, or did you give it some winter protection ?

But what a wonderful weed and it self pollinates :smile:

Matt - it seems they are related and have similar cultivation requirements, so you weren't too far off.

Cheers guys.

#6 John Jearrard

John Jearrard
  • Full Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 21:34 PM

Stone dead with me (minus 5C) in the greenhouse. I had been told that it seeded about and I hoped that the seed might survive, but no sign yet so I think it just died.
I was happy enough to think it might be a bit of a weed. It's from Madagascar so there is no good reason to expect it to be hardy.

#7 Dicon

Dicon
  • Full Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:neps and orchids

Posted 30 September 2011 - 20:11 PM

well done, Phill, I'm quite surprised that an african species turned up with Neps, unless it did come in with the Disas.

I think it would be best kept warm and shady during growth with a min of about 10-12c in winter when it should be kept dry whilst resting and then commence watering when growth recommences.

(there are about 600 Habenaria, so it's a good job you found it before going down that avenue!)

#8 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 14:20 PM

well done, Phill, I'm quite surprised that an african species turned up with Neps, unless it did come in with the Disas.

I think it would be best kept warm and shady during growth with a min of about 10-12c in winter when it should be kept dry whilst resting and then commence watering when growth recommences.

(there are about 600 Habenaria, so it's a good job you found it before going down that avenue!)

It seems most likely that the seeds actually came in with the bokorensis plants from Francois in March 2008 - it was a weed in his collection and he still has some.

I'm fairly certain that this plant was kept outside, but under cover last winter (dry) - although it may have been indoors - I remember the leaves rotted away and I thought I'd lost it. The other one I have (assumed the same) is still in the Nep pot it germinated in, but is very etiolated as only under my lights with no direct sunlight. This one has been getting loads of direct sunlight all summer, but stood in water. But for the winter I'll move it back in doors (and sow the seeds), I guess I better pot up the other one to give better conditions next year.

As for ID, I did a search on Terestrial Orchids (as it seemed terestrial to me) and found a site that listed all the families for different countries / regions, with a few pics for each family. Luckily I have a good eye and was able to tell at a glance when things weren't right and the only thing that looked possible were the Cynorkis (whilst Habaneria has some similar, many aren't) thena quick google search for cynorkis pic's made me fairly certain I was right and also my prefered candidate - turning up in my back bedroom, I figured it wouldn't be too rare.

But this is one weed I very happy to have :biggrin: Anyone else with weedy orchids in their collection, are welcome to send some my way.