Operating cost for highlanding cooling?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Satsvear

Satsvear
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

I have an old aquarium that I thinking of using to highlanders. Some nephs and Heliums. Looked around for the best solution and using a frigde with computer watercooling seems to be the best way.

The question I have, except the buingcost of frigde and watercooling what is the electikal cost for the fridge?
I´m thinking a little fidge, I guess is need to been on 24h/day. Is this the best solution or?

I´m thinking of buing a whiecooler instead, is it better and more easy to controll the temperatur in? What about the elekticalcost for that? Get warm in the day and need much power to get cooled again an so on... Every answer is intressting. The weather at winter is to cooled for them outdoors. It gets down to -30c (-22F).

Well Met!

#2 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 15:29 PM

I am in Canada, but get similar temperatures to you during the winter, (-20c to -30c) and what works for people here during the winter is having a duct with a fan blowing the cold air from the window into the terrarium or grow space. This usually works for about 6-7 months of the year during the day and night. During the other 5-6 months when its warmer outside, the night time temperatures are usually 10c to 14c so at night you can use the same duct and fan but open the window to get the nice night time temperature drop. This mean that you would only need to run your electrical cooling system for approximately 12-16 hours for 5-6 months, and the rest of the time you can use a fan only and blow the cold air from outside in. It also works best if you use a thermostat to control the fan, and only have the fan turn on when the temperature rises above your desired temperature.

Edited by 31drew31, 21 September 2011 - 15:30 PM.

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,164 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 16:59 PM

I don't know the running costs, however I would think that a wine cooler would be more efficient than circulating fridge chilled water. There will be efficiency losses with the water cooling method, from thermal losses in the pipework, heat generated by the pump, fan etc. A terrarium is a terrible thermal insulator too, so much of the chilled air you blew into it would be lost through the glass. A wine cooler on the other hand should be reasonably well insulated, with none of the above losses. Care would have to be taken with the lighting though, so as to ensure that the thermal load put on the wine cooler is not too great, thus making the compressor run for extended periods. Some wine coolers have fixed thermostats, which might be an issue with cooling plants too much, but there are models that have adjustable temperature controllers. An alternative method, if using a terrarium, is an aquarium flow cooler or a beer cooler like those used in bar cellars, they need to be suitable for continuous duty though. As 31drew31 mentions though, cold air is freely available much of the year :wink:

#4 Satsvear

Satsvear
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:45 PM

31drew31 the ide you mentioned I have to. Fun that it works! How do you get the air through the window? I mean in not so fun having the window open all winter, in the summer it would be ok. Do you use some tubes from the window to the aqaurium or? Don´t really cold air come in at daytime to? Please tell me more about this and some picture if you know anybody!

Well Met!

#5 31drew31

31drew31
  • Full Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 17:54 PM

I actually do not have a set up like this as my basement temperatures are good as they are, but IF I was to do it I would use ducts like this and have a fan that fits on the end of the ducts to push the air. In the summer I would have the window open and an AC window install piece like this but without the actual AC unit, that way there is at least some protection from the hot air during the day.

In the winter I wouldn't have the window open, but just air being sucked in from around the window, as that should be cool enough for cooling purposes. If it wasnt I would use the same window intall piece and insulate it better to avoid the cold drafts.

Hopefully Ive explained this clearly :)