What's the difference? sawtooth question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carnivoor

carnivoor
  • Full Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

I've seen some Sawtooth being sold as UK Sawtooth I and UK Sawtooth II, what's the differece between the two?

#2 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

Plenty of pictures on Bobs photo site:

DIONAEA PHOTO FINDER

Trev

#3 will9

will9
  • Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:cactussen, succulenten, gardenplants, carnivores - all plants

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yes ,many pictures from many different plants ,green ,red whit very different tooth and shape ,if i not know i think these are pictures from at least 20 different sawtooth ,even from dentate.
I have this to,and i not know the difference ,i can not see this on pfotophinder,too match different there,there must be some difference but wat?
Cheers

#4 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

In my opinion the differences are not significant to dive them separate names. Its a known fact that you can take a number of sawtooths divisions (or any other dionaea) from the same parent and grow them for a season and they can all look slightly different, some being more red than others some having longer teeth than others, some remain fairly close to the ground others grow longer petioles. The next season everything can be different again. This can even be the case when they are grown in the same conditions. For me there is just sawtooth, I ignore all the the alternate names for plants with this characteristic.
being cynical its just another way of relieving more suckers of their cash. Bit like football tops but with less difference.

Edited by mantrid, 14 September 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#5 carnivoor

carnivoor
  • Full Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for clearing things up, I wondered why there were 2 names.

#6 will T

will T
  • Full Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 20:16 PM

Hi, yes the other Will is right,dont care about the name ,sawtooth is enough,if everybody give a name because he has a very little difference than the normal type,we will never finish to give new names,its totally crazy and ridiculous all these names.concentrate yourself on the plants you prefer and dont look at these very little differences cause every seed can be different,remember that ;)
cheers,Will.

#7 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Everyone knows the naming/cultivar system of vfts is in utter chaos..